Chapter 2: Last Hours of Peace

Italy's POV:

"Ve~" I say, as we enter the small town where I first heard the rumors. "It's so lively, here... Oh! Germany, look! A gelato stand! Let's go and get some, please?" I beg, giving him my puppy dog eyes. Gelato is a rare treat for me now. This is the only chance that I have to get some, and I usually only have this opportunity once every thirty-six loops... so that's about twice per year.

Keh! No wonder you're so fucking irritable!

Shut up, Yang... I retort with annoyance.

"Ja, I suppose that you could have some, but only one scoop!" Germany yells after me as I speed away to get my precious gelato. I hear him heave a deep sigh as Prussia also goes off to investigate something.

"Hello, what would you like?" The stand owner asks.

"Ve~ I'll have a single scoop of strawberry gelato, please~!" I state with a grin.

"Alright, is that all?"

"Ve... Actually, could you add a single scoop of chocolate gelato to the order too?" I ask as I hear Japan's quiet, refined footsteps approaching. In past loops, he's confessed to me that he has developed a fondness for the chocolate flavored Italian ice cream.

"So that's one strawberry gelato, and one chocolate gelato." I nod my head. "Okay, that'll be ¥382." The salesman states. Ve... I can just imagine America saying something like '$3.99 for two cones?! Dude, that's so awesome! Back home, we charge way more!' "Ve..." I quickly hand him the money, and he hands me two cones.

"Ve~ Grazie~!" I say, before turning around just as Japan reaches me. I thrust the chocolate gelato in front of his face, and I'm rewarded with a rare, bewildered look from Japan.

"Wha...?"

"Ve~ I got it for you! I know you like the chocolate flavor best, so I thought I'd buy one for you, Viva!"

"Ano... a-arigatou, Itary-kun." Japan says as he accepts the offered gelato. I grin and skip over to a nearby bench; Japan follows after me.

There's no one sitting near us, and Germany can see us just fine from his position. Prussia had gone to look at a sword stand, and Germany had followed him. Apparently, Prussia had purchased a sword, and now Germany is currently yelling at him for it. Ve~ Again...

I take a lick of my gelato, and let out a content sigh. There's nothing like gelato to help ease the worries of death and time travel. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see Japan happily eating his own gelato. We enjoy the warm sunlight and refreshing gelato together in a rare—for me at least—peaceful quiet. After we've both finished our gelato, I turn to Japan.

"Ve... Japan?" I ask quietly. He turns to me, and listens respectfully. "There's something bothering you, isn't there?" My question obviously catches Japan off-guard. After all, this is the first time in this loop that the "mature Italy" has come out.

"Na-nani? What are you talking about, Itary-kun?" he asks, trying to hide the shock that momentarily crosses his face at my serious and unusually observant question.

"Ve~ You know what I mean. You've been thinking about something a lot lately; ever since we came to this town." I say, turning to face him fully and giving him a serious face, with a smile, of course. Japan gives a sigh. I already know what he's going to say.

"You're right, Itary-kun. Something has been bothering me." I motion for him to continue. "It's just... ever since America-san started talking about that haunted mansion I've had this constant feeling of déjà vu. And what's more is that I have this really strong feeling that something bad is going to happen. It's almost like... my instincts are trying to warn me that something dangerous is near... but I don't see any danger." He gives a long sigh. "Maybe I'm just getting old..." I put my hand on his shoulder and give him a comforting smile.