5.) A Simple Hey

Hey friends! I've been feeling great about this story so I'm updating pretty quickly to get this on a roll. It's gonna be good!:) I know it's kind of slow in the beginning but don't worry, the idiots in love will finally grow balls to mention their feelings. Just not yet. I want to build up from something cute.:) (if that makes any sense) okay I'm digressing:/

Anyway, enjoy chappy #5

Chapter Five: A Simple Hey

(POV- Clarity Evers)

"Guess what?" Aspyn asks and puffs of fog shoot out of her mouth. It has to be at least 40 degrees outside, at least.

"What?" I ask rubbing my hands together and look at the sidewalk carefully inspecting where I step on this icy terrain.

We are currently walking to Starbucks because guess who works there?
Aaron.
I agreed to come along because I don't have a life.

She pauses for a second and her blond hair whips around.

"I talked to your mom and she already said yes."

"What is it?" My curiosity grows watching Aspyn smile.

"Sprinkles is having a karaoke night on Christmas Eve!" She squeals excitedly and I smile.

"You should most definitely sing." I say teasingly and she rolls her eyes.

"No I am referring to you! You have the voice of an angel you so have to!"

"No no no no no. I can't do that." I say casually and she tries to keep her composure.

"Find don't do it but it will be really fun. I already invited Aaron and River."

"You what?"

Her eyes light up and she gives me a knowing look.
"Come on Clarity, River likes you. Any girl can tell except the one that he has his eyes on." Aspyn says chuckling and I close my eyes doubting that the idea of River liking me is even possible.

"No Aspyn you're wrong."

"No, Aspyn is always right." She says jokingly and I sigh.
She gives me a long look and I avoid her gaze staring at nothing in particular.

"I see the way he's been looking at you for the past month. It's the way that-"

"Aaron looks at you?" I say in a playful manner and her face reddens.

"Hush." She says quickly and I laugh continuing to walk and she picks up her pace.
She quickly recollects herself and puts her hand on my shoulder.

"Why has he been coming to the bakery so much? Huh?"

"Because he's a nice person and likes to help people. He loves Ellie Henderson, the elder. He talks to her and cheers her up." I say quietly and smile remembering the cookies, cupcakes and hour long talks.

He's such a kind and generous person. I think to myself as I watch the icicles on rooftops of boutiques.

"Yeah but he always has small talk with you when he orders. Customers don't do that with employees." She says scoffing.

"He's just a friend." I say quickly pushing Aspyn's theory far from my thoughts.

"Before you know it you'll end up falling for those gorgeous eyes." Aspyn says in a sing song voice and I feel my face warm up.

I look away over at the decorated Christmas tree lot across the street and memories of when I used to go every year with dad flood my mind. I weakly shake my head and push those turquoise eyes away.