N I N E T E E N

"Following their lead,
the two brothers eventually encountered
a baker and a pair of blacksmiths."

・ ・ ・

"Marisoix..." Ash tossed her hair back, a frown on her face. "Are you, perhaps, referring to the family who runs the Marisoix Bakery near Argia Alley?"

Tesarah gave a nod, her eyes wide. Storm was intrigued. The girl, Yelena Marisoix, was a baker? "Do you know them?" he asked the general.

"Not personally, but from word of mouth, Your Highness." Ash shrugged her shoulders. "My soldiers are a rowdy group of gossips, really. If I recall, they mentioned that the bakery is quite well-known for its handmade curry buns. The family running it has Faténorian roots." She paused, frowning, and started muttering inaudible things under her breath, before huffing. A shake of her head. "... Disregarding all of the other nonsense they spoke of, I believe my soldiers also mentioned that they have a single daughter, making them a family of three."

"Is that who you were talking about, Tesarah?" Storm asked the white-haired girl.

"Y-yes!" Tesarah gave a vigorous nod of her head. "That's Yelena. She gives us unsold bread every night, once the bakery is closed."

Yelena seemed to be a rather kind person. Storm was fascinated, and determined to meet the girl. She was their best lead to find Slayen. They had to meet her and persuade her to lead them to the criminal. No matter what the cost. He nodded at Ash, and the general returned a grim smile.

"Does this Yelena Marisoix know that Slayen is with Minara?" Ash suddenly demanded. Silver eyes flashed. "Depending on your answer..."

"I-I'm not so sure..." Tesarah murmured, lowering her gaze to the floor. "It's been some time since I last spoke to her, so I..."

Ash scrutinised her. Then a huff, and a toss of her hair. "Very well. We shall see what happens." Storm nodded, understanding the general's concern. If Yelena knew that Slayen was hiding with Minara, that would make the girls' situations the same— partners of the murderer.

And that would make things far more complicated.

"Um, Storm," the white-haired girl stuttered then, "when we find Minara, do you think..."

"What is it?" Storm asked tenderly, noticing how she was trembling while she tried to find the right words to say. Was she scared? Of what? There was nothing for her to be afraid of.

Just when Tesarah was about to speak again, there was the sound of footsteps.

"An intriguing tale," came Xenor's voice, and the three of them jumped. They turned, and saw Xenor standing there with his arms crossed over his chest, posture lax. Storm had to force himself not to recoil at the sudden appearance of his brother.

When had he appeared? How long had he been there, eavesdropping on their conversation? Storm had no idea, for his brother's habits were conundrums by themselves.

Xenor cocked his head, eyeing them. His green gaze then flickered over to Tesarah. A barely discernible twitch of his brow.

The white-haired girl paled immediately upon meeting his scrutinising stare, expression stricken and turquoise eyes wide. She sidled behind Storm, clutching his sleeve as she eyed his brother with much timid wariness. Her hands were trembling. A shuddery breath.