T W E N T Y

"It turned out that the three of them
were hiding the spy,
and so the two brothers engaged in battle."

・ ・ ・

He's here.

Storm jerked back, retreating from the window while keeping an eye onSlayen. His heart pounded, thundering in his ears. Hands quivered, beads of sweat dripping down his forehead. Gasps fell from his lips.

Slayen is here.

The criminal was half-shrouded in the shadows of a cabinet, crimson eyes glowing with malevolence. "You...?" he murmured, a voice so hoarse and hushed that it made Storm's skin prickle with dread. There was that sense of apprehensive vulnerability, striking deep into his chest like a dagger through his soul.

Slayen was standing right in front of him, an ominous presence in the midst of joyous reunion. His father's murderer, his mother's killer; the sinner who disrupted the tranquil peace of the kingdom by committing the foulest, gravest of crimes. He was right there, in Karza's house, observing them all with a monstrous glare.

... Karza knew.

Storm whipped his head around to see the said boy still chatting relaxedly with Tesarah, Minara and Yelena.

Karza has been helping Minara hide Slayen.

That was why they could never find him. Slayen had been hiding in the deeper parts of the slums, where everyone was either an ally or neutral with his existence. Where the people banded together to raise their chances of survival.

All of them were friends.

Storm turned again to look for Xenor. He needed to tell his brother about Slayen. About what was happening, what he realised.

But Xenor was nowhere to be seen.

Where is he? His mind flew into a panic as he whirled around in search of his missing brother. He was just here. Chest heaving. Palms sweating. Back burning where it was in contact with his short sword, fingers itching to take it out and brandish it.

If only to stop the chill thrumming through his body, his blood.

The last time he saw the murderer was before the fire. He was kneeling on the execution platform, head low in resigned silence, waiting for his demise. But now Slayenwas drawn to his full, intimidating height, stare unfaltering. Eerie, still as a statue. Fingers curled. Hateful suspicion in his red, red gaze.

He had recovered. He had healed. He had survived and was back, hiding behind his sister and friend like shields, advancing like a predator with the Avalons as his prey.

Did Yelena know about Slayen too? It was likely, seeing how close she was with Minara and Karza. They had yet to notice the criminal's appearance, too caught up in their conversation.

But Tesarah said Yelena didn't know, Storm pondered, recalling the girl's words. Does that mean she lied? To me?

He shut down the thought in an instant, refusing to doubt his friend. His first friend. She had been nothing but helpful so far. Perhaps she truly didn't know about Yelena's situation, and told them what she hoped instead.