Chapter 13

Kai managed to evade Iris for the rest of the evening, and the next morning he left the royal den to catch some fresh morning air. He finally thought that he'd escaped the she-wolf and looked around for Dianna. Shortly after, he found himself releasing a low hissing noise as Iris approached him. "Ah, there's my prince charming." She said smug tone that Kai detested. "You say that as if you were looking for me." He replied irritated at the fact that she clearly couldn't take a hint. "Oh, but I was honey..." Iris perched on her haunches next to him. "If we're going to rule a pack beside eachother one day, we'd at least have to have some knowledge of what It'd be like." She cooed curling her tail around his. Kai forced himself to swallow a growl that rose quickly in his throat. "Wouldn't you agre--" "Prince Kai!" Asante said bounding up to him. "Sir, the hunting party has returned. Should I bring you your breakfast?" She said standing perfectly erect, while being sure not to look Kai directly in his eyes. "That's fine Asante, I'll eat with the rest of the pack when--" "Hey! Don't you know royalty when you see it?" Iris snarled, preventing Kai from finishing the sentence.  "We were obviously having a conversation, you tactless twit!" Kai flinched just a little at Iris's words. Asante was his childhood friend before she was his servant, and he knew better than anyone, that she didn't take shit from anyone, not even him. He noticed Asante narrowing her eyes in silent rage at this female. "Excuse me?" She replied calmly, but clearly annoyed. Iris took a step toward her. "If you knew who I am, you wouldn't have the audacity to answer me." Asante didn't reply, but she did stare Iris directly in the eyes, something she'd never done to Kai since adopting her role as his Royal Handler. "Go make yourself useful and bring me  some of that breakfast you were speaking about. Your insolence has made me quite famished."

Asante held her silence, refused to move and raised her hackles very slightly, as Kai placed a paw over his face. Tzuma watched from a distance. "This girl doesn't know who she's dealing with." She said licking a paw and continuing to watch. "Clearly you didn't hear me. Make it snappy and I won't have you reported to my father!" Again Asante stood her ground in silence. "I'll get it for you sweetheart..." Kai spoke breaking the tension between the two females. He cleared his throat, "Asante, you're dismissed." He said trying to sound as stern as possible only to appease Iris. "Thank you sir." The red and white she-wolf said turning neatly and walking away. "You really ought to discipline her you know." Iris frowned leaving. "I thought you were hungry!" He called after her. "I'll get it myself!" She hissed back at him.

Ashen popped out of a bush not to long after. "Hahaha!" She gawked, scaring Kai a little. "That's the type o' shit you watch from a Distance!!!" She said trying to catch her breath. Dianna giggled a little beside her. Kai caught a glimpse of her out of the corner of his eye. "Dianna!" He called ot gingerly turning around and trotting to her. "Hi," He said in a calmer tone coasting to a stop near the female. "I was looking for you earlier, but you weren't around..." Dianna was a bit surprised. "Oh, Ashen and I just came back with the hunting party that brought in breakfast this morning." Ashen still hawed at what had happened between Iris and Asante. "Oh man, Asante sure showed that uptight broad who's boss." Dianna began to laugh again. "Doesn't ANYONE like this girl?" She asked Kai. "Well, the males of the pack that have the hots for her, aren't good enough for her as far as she's concerned."

"She's lucky that wasn't me!" Ashen said puffing out out her chest. "I would have told that brat about the deepest parts of her spoiled--" Kai stooped her. "Ashen, there are pups around. Have a little class." He huffed. A light-bulb went off in Dianna's head, and then quickly shattered to pieces . "Class... WAIT!" She said beginning to panic. "I should be at school!" She said darting away as fast as she could. "Hey, wait!" Kai called after her. "I'm sorry! I'll be back soon!" Dianna's voice trailed off, as Kai watched her run off in a rather disheartened manner.

The charcoal male turned to Ashen. "Ashen?"

"Yeah boss?" She said scratching at some gnats that buzzed near her head. "I've got an idea..." He added with a charming smirk. "But, my father won't like it. Would you and my mother mind covering for me while I'm gone?"