Chapter 4 ~ Friends?

"You want to help me?" Draco said sounding quite baffled that Hermione wanted to be of assistance.

"That's right. And I wanted to confess that Pavarti wasn't the one who wrote all them things in your essay for Snape" Hermione was staring at the ground and playing with her fingers.

"I changed the words in the essay, because I thought you didn't deserve a good grade" She didn't look up, and didn't want to see Draco's expression.

Draco exhaled, and laughed. "What's so funny?" she asked. Surely she made him a laughing stock in the glass and jeopardized his chances of a good grade, but he found this amusing.

"Hah, Classic Hermione isn't it?" he laughed again but Hermione didn't reply. "I didn't deserve the grade, you think getting back at me would work?" he burst out laughing again, and clutched his stomach. "But you're so bad at playing pranks. You're not meant to feel guilty after it Hermione!"

"I know! But i did ok. That's because I felt bad. I saw you struggling to do your essay and i wanted to help. Is that bad?!" She felt annoyed at him, but felt sorry for him at the same time. He looked at her, still smiling.

"Thank you, that's awfully kind of you Hermione" he was still smiling, and stood up. "Well are you helping me or not? i need to find the right book, and I'm guessing this is not it" he held up a large book he asked Madam Prince for, its was a copy of dangerous Demons in the world.

"Er, Draco...the essay is about Inferi, not demons. Do you ever pay attention?" She took the book of him and went in search of the right one that would help Draco.

***

"Wow! That was easy..kind of" Draco sat back with his hands behind his head. "See? a little help goes a long way. This'll get you a good grade" Hermione was smiling. She felt happy she felt and also the whole time there were no girls.

"So where were your lost puppies today?" she asked "My what?" he looked confused and sat up staright. "I meant the girls that follow you everywhere. I surprised they don't follow you into the bathroom"

Draco had half a smile on his face. "Well I gave the a slip, they think I'm in the quidditch practice, which i should be getting to now" He grabbed his book and packed all his stuff away, Hermione did the same a stood up. "So.." He looked pleased and stared a Hermione. "What" she asked "Does this mean we're friends now?" he had a grin on his face, hoping Hermione would say 'Yes'.

Hermione laughed "Friends? Draco, I helped with your homework, that doesn't mean friendship would blossom easily. Don't you remember out younger years? I'm the 'Mudblood' that you hate" she looked at him and giggled.

"Well you helped me meaning you like me. And 'hate' is a strong word along with 'Mudblood'" He told her. "You used to call me 'Mudblood' why didn't you realise then, that is was a bad word. She started walking faster but Draco kept up with her.

"But you do like me...I can tell" He smiled and ran his fingers through his hair. "Like you? You must be joking, didn't I just say friendship can't blossom that easily" She picked up herpace and started running "So you don't like me?" He asked, this was starting to irritate Hermione. "Will you leave me alone?! I need to get to Charms" She looked at Draco for the last time and broke into a run. Draco watched her as she went, he smiled until girls came from no-where and surrounded him.

***

Quidditch practice was for 2 hours, rain started to fall and one of the Ravenclaw had an accident and fell of their broom. Hermione had a free period and was in the stands with Harry and Ron watching.

"You can tell Flint knocked her off the broom." exaclimed Ron while munching on Bertie botts every flavour beans. "Poor Cho" Said Hermione, she could she Cho on the quidditch feild surrounded by her teams players.