Chapter 13

The mountain's peak raised high to the raspberry-colored clouds. Above it, dragons with wings so big, they could have covered the entire meadow. A warm sun was bathing everything and a mild wind was blowing, cooling that entire magical realm and its beings.

When Eliza stepped on the meadow, no one moved back, no one was scared of her appearance. A small fairy, like a sparrow, greeted her, flying around. Behind her, she left coloured sparks melting in the air.

'Could I speak to Dawn's Fairy?' Eliza asked her. But before finishing, a sparkling white winged horse, the most pristine she's ever seen, drew near her and kneeled down. Eliza mounted and found herself flying to a cliff at the top of the mountain, the one covered in clouds.

When they got there, the stone wall that seemed impenetrable opened like a gate and Eliza was taken inside the cliff. She discovered a creature of dazzling beauty sitting on a gem-encrusted gold throne. Her blonde hair was so shiny, that you could barely look at it. Her eyes, in the colors of the clear skies, warmly wreathed Eliza; and her arms, the foam of milk, were asking her to come closer.

The room she entered seemed to be taken out of the most beautiful story. The sun was shining through the upper part of the den, warming the greenery which seemed to merge with the one outside. Climbing plants and flowers covered the stone walls like alive tapestry. Fairies, birds, sparkling insects were flying through the air.

'Come closer, Eliza,' said the fairy in the most gentle voice.

Eliza could barely look at such beauty. She almost felt embarrassed by her looks, which seemed to stain this beautiful world.

'Are you the Dawn's Fairy?'

'Yes, child. I am. And I'm also your Godmother. I've been with you since you were born... I've protected and kept you from harm as much as I could. I've always been beside you. I took the appearance of an old neighbour of yours to advise you about healing herbs. And I put a rabbit in front of the royal chariot so you could meet your sister. I blew the layer of flour which stuck on you every time you brushed it off. That was the only way to keep you hidden, away from the eye of the enemy. Alas, your destiny I couldn't change, you see. For life shows you many unsuspected paths; and no matter what turn you choose to take, fate tosses you in its whirlpool and then grabs you out from the most turbid waters. When you least expect it... You just have to believe in your dreams and follow it.'

Eliza listened to the fairy's wise words and her soul was filled with hope again. 'This means you can help me become myself again? I wouldn't care if I were to be like this forever, I deserve my fate. But the future of all my loved ones depends on it.'

The fairy rose from her throne and approached her. 'Of course I can help you. The healing water from the Fountain of Youth will turn you back into your old self. But it only works on those with a clean soul, thought and deed...' Eliza thought of all the people she cheated with her lies. Perhaps her soul was pure, but her deeds were far from it.

'I've come such a long way,' she sighed. 'Tell me what I must do for the water to break the spell.' The fairy caressed her wrinkled cheek and her warm stroke brought her for just a second the tranquillity she's been searching for so long.