Chapter 16

The battlefield, drenched in blood, was now a silent witness to grief and pain. Everyone watched how Princess Eliza passed away in the arms of the Prince. The Prince stood still for hours, dripping tears over the beloved face. He kissed the cold lips and lifted the lifeless body in his arms and walked towards the Castle. The joy of victory was not present in the burdened hearts. Warriors, fairies, gnomes and magical beings followed him silently, drowned in grief.

Eliza was laid down on a bed of flowers, in the Throne Room, so everyone can see her for the last time. The castle was soon surrounded by common people, people who came in waves to mourn their Princess. Their true Princess.

One by one came her parents, with stone-like faces and broken hearts for losing their lost child for the second time. The Queen, paled face, was holding Eliza's hand and tears of true love watered her eyes. The Princess's old father, the miller, could barely stand on his own feet, caressing her forehead tirelessly. The Dawn's Fairy watched silently, furious at herself for lacking the power to bring her back to life. The whole Kingdom was left mortified, faced with such a tragedy. And Prince Gabriel refused to eat or sleep so he could be at her side.

Her sister, Mara, followed by Adrian, came in late, barely walking, with a heavy heart. They couldn't get over the feeling that one way or another, they were to blame for Eliza's death. At the same time, Adrian was saying his last goodbye to his lifelong friend; Mara took the hands of her sister in her own and sang a tender song which poured from her being with such grief and sorrow, that everybody froze still. Her voice, sounding so much alike the voice of Eliza, shook the souls and hearts of those present. As everybody was sitting in silence, head down, that is when the miracle no one was expecting happened.

Princess Mara felt a light grip on her hand, faint at first, then stronger. Mara stopped singing, and for a moment, all sorrow-filled hearts stopped beating. When everyone looked up, they saw the beautiful and cheerful Eliza smiling as she did before. One by one, the murmurs of sorrow became cheers, and the whole Kingdom learned that the Princess was brought back to life by a magical singing voice.

Soon, joy and celebration overwhelmed the land. Those close and dear came to hug her and kiss her, and the Princess hugged them back so hard, she didn't seem to want to let go.

Eliza has found her lost family, at last. The King, the Queen, and Princess Mara surrounded her with all their love, shedding tears of joy. The King himself thanked the miller for raising Eliza and taking such good care of her. And he even told him it was time to leave the mill behind and spend his last years in peace, at the royal palace.

'I am sorry, Your Majesty, but I am not worthy of such an honor. Be forgiven, but I would like to spend my last years at the mill, the place I love the most in this world. I have a request, though, if it's not too much to ask. I would like to see Eliza from time to time. This is an old man's wish.'

The King smiled, 'This wish only Eliza can grant.'

Eliza looked at her fathers and embraced them both. In shivering steps, her mother has now reached her side and the Princess felt her warm, loving touch, the one she missed all her life. Then, turning to the miller, she whispered, 'To you, I am not Princess Eliza, father. I will always be your little girl. Without your love and care, I would not have made it here.'