Chapter Eleven

Camp Half-Blood, Annabeth's POV

I didn't have to look around to see the occasional glares I received. They had happened ever since he died. At least they didn't yell at me anymore. The words were already imprinted in my mind anyway.

Jerk

Unloyal

Monster

A tear slipped from my eyes. He would know what to say. He would be able to make it alright. But he wasn't here right now because of Eric. That jerk.

Because of Eric, he ended up dying thinking I didn't love him, that he was all alone, completely betrayed. He ended up leaving without being able to give the ring to me himself. It was as much my fault as it was Eric's, though. I had been the one to try and make Eric give up, letting myself fall into the kiss. I had been the one that had let Eric bully me around with this. It was all my fault.

My aimless walking had once again led me to the beach. It wasn't the same as when he left. Murky, dark, unhappy. Poseidon had taken his death as hard as me, maybe even harder.

But he had been mine to watch over.

He had been my Seaweed Brain.

I put my head between my knees, sobbing. Back when he was around, he would have been able to comfort me, make me feel as if everything would be alright. But he wasn't, and now there was no one.

Why were all these thoughts resurfacing now? After all these years, why now? I had been able to keep them down to a point, but why now?

The answer suddenly appeared. Wavestorm. He reminded me so much like him, I almost wanted to think...

No, Annabeth, it's impossible. He's dead, you saw it happen.

No you didn't. A voice in my head told me He isn't in the Underworld, and he didn't get hit by the Master Bolt. There weren't any remains.

So? Even if he is alive, how could the commander of the army possibly be him?

He has the same sea-green eyes. It argued back.

Shut up. I told it, letting myself go back to weeping. The mere chance of it was extraordinary, almost impossible. Yet the thought... I ended up not demolishing it, it wouldn't go away anyway.