ten

☆ ☆ ☆

Hope had let the night pass, setting the three supernaturals and Stiles at home in their beds with little memory of the time at the Grangers.

She knew they had no idea of what had occurred on the roof with Ramiel, but she wondered if they were suspicious.

She wondered if they knew.

Hope sat on the sofa in her room, it the only piece of furniture close to something that could be slept on. She angled towards the window, staring out at the town below.

Pastor Granger knocked on the open door, stnading in the frame. "Do you know?"

"Sometimes I question if I know anything at all." Hope, in print pants and a fitted black sweater, rose from the sofa. Her heels added a few inches, but she still seemed so small.

It was a trick of the light: She was a force to be reckoned with.

"Four days, Hatikva."

"Three days, Hatikva."

"Two..."

"Hatikva, today-"

"I know, Thrammuel!" Hope stood outside of the church, breaking for only half a moment. She grabbed back her composure, pushing open the door to St. Marks. Forcing on a smile, she felt comforted in the sanctuary as she approached the Nativity set.

It was hours from their Christmas Eve service, dress rehearsals done and the nerves high in the young ones.

Hope sat down in a pew, her eyes on the stage set for the final scene. "It didn't even happen like this," she mumbled as she leaned back in her spot.

Fall

Fall

Fall

Hope's eyes shot open, unnerved by the thought. She stood from her place, stepping up onto the stage. In wedge booties, she began moving the piece of the set. She had to have something to do with her hands or she'd go insane.

Sure, she'd spent the past days after Ramiel's visit with her four, but she still felt like it wasn't enough.

She wasn't sure what would be enough.

"Restless?"

Hope looked up as she shifted the set, finding Stiles walking between pews towards the stage. "Yeah, I guess so." She stood up straight, absently moving a tight curl from her eyes. "You're early, anything wrong?"

"No, definitely nothing wrong." Stiles kept his hands pocketed in a pair of maroon trousers. He stopped at the edge of the stage, not going up to where Hope was. "Um, how're my chances of visiting the room?"

Hope softly smiled, "Go for it."

Stiles hesitated, nodding to the side. "Come with me?"

Hope put down the crib for baby Jesus, giving a quaint shrug before joining Stiles. "I suppose I could spare a few minutes."

Stiles felt comfortable around Hope, it a strange thing to him. He ran a hand through his hair, his family ring visible as he did so. "Nervous about the show?"

"Not really, no." Hope glanced over to Stiles as they left the sanctuary. "Are you? I know you're not much of a theatre person."

"I can manage," Stiles replied. "I used to do class plays, a long time ago to be fair."

Hope softly laughed, opening the door to the botanical room that Stiles felt most at home in. "I imagine the show'll be great no matter what happens."

"Have you always acted?" asked Stiles as he was drawn to the flowers like he had been before. They were still alive, it almost like they were the same flowers that had been there when he was a boy.

"Since before I can remember," Hope replied as she ran her hand along a vine stretched across the wall. "My dad always said I could put on a good show."

Stiles agreed with a smile, but was still utterly engulfed to the white and pink brimming flowers. "Hey, what are these called? Do you know?"

"Sweet Leilani," said Hope. She kept her eyes on Stilinski, curious to what he was thinking right then. "Bing Crosby had a song titled after them."

Stiles looked up to Hope, "You've got these in your house, don't you? In the foyer, right?"

"Yeah, they're my favorite. I like to keep them in the house."

Stiles' phone beeped, causing him to look away from Hope. "Oh hey, Scott's here."

"What's up with the wonder twins being early?" asked Hope as she stepped out of the room. She went down the hall with Stiles, getting a laugh out of him.

"So," Stiles had been curious about Hope since she'd arrived, "are you and your dad planning on staying in Beacon?"

Hope hesitated, slightly taken aback by the timing of his question. "I'm not sure."

Stiles pushed open the door to the sanctuary, looking back to Hope as he held it open for her. "Are you planning on leaving, then?"

"Uh, oh hey Scott," Hope greeted happily to the ran boy carrying a helmet.

Although Stiles didn't quite believe the way Hope had dodged his question, he let it slide.

"Hey guys," Scott said with a smile. "Sorry I'm early. My mom kicked me out of the house so she could wrap presents."

"It's fine by me," Hope told him. "Help me with set? I almost have it done."

Scott, without question, set down his things and met Hope on stage to help.

Stiles narrowed his eyes a little, his gaze following Hope.

Something was off, but he let it go.

It was Christmas Eve, after all.