eleven

☆ ☆ ☆

"Let's go!"

Behind a curtain that blocked out the audience from the cast, glitter flying and fake beards barely making it onto faces.

Hope ran back and forth, in a simple costume of the Narrator as she tried to get everyone set for the show to start.

"Hope!" Kira called desperately as she adjusted her headband. She reflected everything around her; the stunning North Star.

Hope skidded to a stop, caught by Kira. "What is it?"

"My shoe broke."

Hope took off her shoes without any hesitation, bracing it barefooted as she headed over to the three wise men. "I'm here, I'm here!" she called as the boys waved her over. She brought out a small bottle of spirit gum - a stage adhesive. She pulled down each beard slightly, wiping the spirit gum along their hairless upper lips. "Now press them down so they stick, okay? Do you have your props?"

The three chimed a 'yes', holding their gifts to Jesus.

"Wonderful. Just breathe if you're nervous." Hope rushed off, finding half a moment to find a pair of gladiator sandals much too small for her. But they seemed to fit under her touch, slipping onto her feet as if they were her own.

"Hope!"

"Coming!" Hope called as she jumped up, nearly crashing dead into Stiles.

Her Joseph caught her, laughing as he steadied her. "Slow down, Speedy."

"I would if I could." Hope was nearly breaking a sweat in her attempt to make everything perfect by curtain up. "Do you need anything before I run off?"

"Yeah, actually." Stiles snapped a finger trying to think of it. "What does 'Hatikva' mean? I have no idea where I heard it, but it's been bugging me. Do you know-"

"Hope!"

"It means that," she said as she pointed towards the call. "In Hebrew, it means Hope."

Stiles smiled, "Like you."

Hope forced a small laugh, "Yeah, like me. I'll catch you in a bit. Good luck if I don't see you before we start."

"Hope, Hope." Stiles grabbed her hand, keeping her from running off. "Just, if you do leave town, let someone know instead of just disappearing." He held out his pinky when he only got a nod. "I'm not kidding. Promise me."

Hope hesitated, hooking pinkys with him. "I promise."

"Now go be superwoman," Stiles told her with a grin as he let go of her.

Hope had to look back at Stiles twice, quickly getting swept back into the chaos for another ten minutes.

But at 7:00 sharp, Hope stood behind the curtain at center stage, able to hear Pastor Granger introduce the play.

Hope motioned at her side, letting the crew knew the show could begin. She held a simple pose, the curtain parting in front of her. "Good evening and welcome to everyone here. It's lovely to see you at this time of year. Now we have a story we're going to tell, it's one that we think you'll all know quite well."

The audience all smiled, captivated by the way Hope spoke and amused by the subtle rhymes.

Hope walked towards downstage, addressing the audience. "It starts with the Emperor greedy for more. Tex from the people, so he made a law; People were sent to the place of their birth. By Emperor Caesar, a Roman of worth."

From there, the show went off without a hitch.

☆ ☆ ☆

Sheriff Stilinski looked around the sanctuary, seated next to Melissa McCall as the final song filled the room. He remembered the ceilings differently; they were more vaulted than before.

Melissa nudged his shoulder, everyone clapping but him.

Stilinski hesitated before joining in, confused on how he'd missed the ending of the play. He smiled as Kira took a bow, laughing as the three wise men tugged down their beards and stuck out their tongues for curtain call.

Both Melissa and the Sheriff let out a cheer, Scott stepping forward in his angel wings. They stood with the crowd, Lydia and Stiles taking a bow together with the fake baby Jesus doll.

Those on stage turned their attention, motioning to Hope. They joined the crowd in clapping, Lydia taking Hope's hand and bringing her to the center next to her and Stiles.

Hope seemed almost in tears, a smile unable to leave her face.

Together, the whole cast yelled, "Merry Christmas!"

They exited to a standing ovation, running straight off stage to their families.

Hope remained on stage for a moment, watching the chaos with a smile. Unnoticed by most, she squeezed Pastor Granger's hand as he stood just below her offstage and retreated back behind the now closed curtain.

Stiles hugged Melissa after getting a tight one from his dad, he and Scott both laughing with their parents.

Stiles glanced over his shoulder, catching the last bit of Hope slip behind the stage. Although the room was loud with chatter, he told them he'd be right back.

"We're meeting at Stella's!" Lydia called as she joined Scott with Kira at her side.

Stiles shot back an agreement, climbing onto the stage in his long white tunic He took off his head cloth, running a hand through his hair. "Hope?" He took a corner, finding the curly haired girl already changed. "You ran off quickly."

Hope set aside a pair of gladiators much too small for her, looking to Stiles. "Yeah, I guess so. Itchy costume."

Stiles watched Hope for a minute, "We're meeting at Stella's. Are you gonna come with? First round's on me."

"Tempting," Hope replied with a soft laugh.

An eyebrow slightly lifted on Stiles, "But...? It sounds like there's a no coming."

Hope looked away for a brief moment, returning her eyes to Stiles. "I'm just not sure if I fit in around here; with you and your friends."

"It's a weird place," Stiles said. "Maybe you just can't see it yet."

"See what?" Hope asked with narrowed eyes. She wasn't angry or upset, merely confused and curious.

"That you're perfect for this place, Hope," Stiles told her. "You get us."

"You don't even know me."

Stiles lightly shook his head, "I think you're wrong about that."

Hope wasn't sure how to feel, "You don't know what you're talking about, Stiles."

"Why won't you let us in?" Stiles questioned. "It's like you're here, but you're not. We want to be friends with you, Hope."

"There's no point." Hope slipped on her heels, the first sign of frustration reaching her tone. "I'm leaving. My father's calling me home."

"Pastor Granger? I-"

"No, my real father, Ramiel. Back to Felicity Heights." Hope double took at Stiles' confused expression. "Look up those names. It'll make sense."

"Wait," Stiles grabbed her arm like he had before, "when are you leaving?"

"Soon, I don't know." She tried to move, but he held onto her. "Stiles, please-"

"At least think about stopping by Stella's before you go," Stiles said in a near plea. He let go of her hand lightly. "Too many people leave without saying goodbye."

Hope felt like her heart had stopped, Stiles walking in silence back through the curtain and to his family.

Fall

Fall

Fall