Chapter 9.

Mason Williams.

"Mason!" The coach yells walking towards us. "What is going on here?"

"He just pushed me." I say angrily staring at Matt.

"You just earned yourself a detention." He directs his angry eyes on me.

"It's my fault coach, it's between me and Matt Mason's got nothing to do with it." Brian chimes in.

"Do you want detention too?" He asks Brian but my friend remains silent.

After that I dismiss the practice and we hit the showers.

Ever since Katherine broke up with me, I have done everything to get her back. I still don't understand why she wanted to end it anyways. We were together for two years, I really don't know what made her just change her mind and feelings for me like that. Like I mean nothing to her, like I never did.

I thought she was happy with me. I thought I made her happy. I tried my best to give her all she wanted.

I loved her so much, and I still do.

I know I must sound like such a clingy ex-boyfriend, but I never imagined myself with anyone but her.

Whatever the reason is I know we can work it out, it's what I keep telling her. But she says it's not something we can work out. Whatever that means.

I just know there's nothing in this world that could make me change my mind about her.

"Mason." Brian's voice brings me back into reality.

I look at him. "Yeah?"

"Still hung up on Katherine man?" He winces as if he can feel my pain.

"I love her, you of all people should understand that, can you imagine yourself being with someone other than Skylar?" I ask.

"I am." He whispers but I hear him.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't meant for my ears but he didn't say it as quietly as he thinks.

What the hell?

"What?" I pretend I didn't hear what he said. Maybe he'll repeat it and say I misheard him. Or tell me what he meant by it.

"Nothing." He shrugs innocently like I'm crazy and hearing things. "Listen Mason, I know you love her but you gotta get over her man, there are plenty of other fish in the sea. Explore." He opens his arms wide.

I laugh. "Easier said than done."

"I'll help you." He hits my chest playfully. "Tonight, we'll go out."

"I can't, detention remember?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Right I got one too." He makes a disappointed face.

"How did you get yours?" The coach didn't give him detention.

"Oh I uh, I swore at one of the teachers." He chuckles. "It was an accident."

"Right." I say with a smile but can't help but feel like he's lying.

I guess Brian is right to a certain extent, I can't stay hung up on Katherine forever. I can't get over her alone though, so I'm glad Brian is going to help me through every step of the way.

Once again my mind keeps going back to what he said when I asked him if he could imagine himself with anyone other than Skylar.

I am.

What did he mean by that? Is he seeing someone else? It couldn't be.

He'd tell me, right?

We've been best friends since I can remember, he wouldn't keep something like this from me.

But I wonder if it is true?

Who's the girl?