♥ Chapter 15 ♥

• Next Week •

• Kaci •

"How come Justin hasn't been at school since last week?" Gabby asks when she appears by my locker.

I shrug, slamming my locker shut. "Who knows."

"Do you think he'll be at his hockey game?" Sydney questions, appearing out of nowhere with Ryan at her side.

"He better be at the hockey game." Ryan adds. "He's our best player."

"I thought I was the best player?" Chaz mutters, walking up to us and wrapping his arms around Gabby.

"You've been on the bench the whole season." Ryan points out.

"Because I'm so good they won't let me play." Chaz chuckles.

"Sure, babe." Gabby pats his arm. "You go ahead and think that."

I snort and try to make my way past them, heading towards English. "You guys are weird."

Gabby wiggles out of Chaz's grip and catches up to me. "You know, you and Justin are the only single ones in this group."

"And I plan on staying single for a long time." I inform her.

She chuckles. "Nate seems like you."

"Nate's off visiting relatives and won't be back until next week." I notify her. "Besides, Nate's not my type."

"Mm," Gabby winks. "I see a Naci in the future."

"Naci?"

"Nate and Kaci."

"Oh." I crinkle my nose, disagreeing with Gabby. Me and Nate? Sure, we kissed once. But that's it. I don't like Nate in that way.

Gabby changes the subject, now talking about something Chaz had said last night. I tuned out, not paying attention to her as we walled towards English.

My thoughts were elsewhere.

On Justin...

I'd go over to his house everyday after school to see how he was doing. The loss of grandfather wasn't too good on him. I guess I really did care about him in some weird, unexpected way.

Justin would play me a song and by the end of it, we would end up kissing until it was time for me to leave. That's how our relationship worked, the whole 'friends with benefits' thing.

Jake was still suspicious, questioning my whereabouts whenever I came home. But I won't give into telling him. No way. If I did, I'll never hear the end of it.

Besides, what is there to tell?

Justin and I are just friends...

Kind of.

• • •

"Have you guys seen Justin?" Ryan runs up to Gabby, Sydney and I. We're sitting at the bleachers, anxiously awaiting for the game to start.

"Hasn't he come yet?" I answer his question with a question of my own.

Ryan nods. "Yeah. Pattie's here and Chaz says he saw him earlier but he just seemed to have disappeared."

I bit my lip, having my suspicions as to why Justin has disappeared. "I'll go find him." I blurt, standing up.

Gabby raises an eyebrow. "Why do you suddenly care?"

My cheeks heat up. "I, um, don't. Ryan says he's the best player and we need the best player to win, right?"

Sydney snorts. "Whatever you say, Kaci."