Chapter 19: Sacrifice

"Ow, dammit." I say, wincing in pain. "Sam be careful." Dean says, half-yelling at Sam. Sam slowly begins to stitch up the wound on my thigh. "Dude I'm trying my best, I'm not a doctor." Sam argues back. "Dean it's fine." I say to stop their almost argument. "I'm getting stitched up its not gonna feel too g—OW! Shit." I squeal quietly, biting my bottom lip and squeezing my eyes shut.

"Oh God—I'm sorry." Sam apologizes. "I'm really trying my best, I really am." He repeats.  I take a deep breath as I glance down at my thigh.  "It's okay, I promise."  I say to Sam.  As I look down I notice the blood still oozing out as he ties my skin together.  I feel myself get a little queazy and I quickly look away.  "You all right?"  Dean asks, noticing me turning away.  "I'm fine—just—grossed out."  I say with disgust in my voice. 

"What are we gonna do about the rest of the Arachnes?  When should we go back?"  I ask.  Dean walks over to the small table with Sam's laptop on it and he opens it up, sitting down in front of it. He purses his lips together, his eyes glued to the screen. "Oh, there is no we.  You are staying here.  You're injured."  Dean says, looking over at me for a moment before retiring his eyes to the computer.  "I can't have anything else happen to you.  You can't even run or anything.  Plus, now you've got stitches.  You need to let yourself heal and recuperate."  I roll my eyes as he says this.  "Dean, come on.  At least let me ride in the car, I can help—I really can.  You can't expect me to just sit here and worry about the two of you the whole time you're gone."  I whine. 

Sam softly dabs the blood away from my leg with a cold, wet washcloth.  Dean opens his mouth to speak but before any words come out Castiel literally appears out of nowhere in the middle of the room.  "You should listen to Dean, you know."  Cas says as he walks up to me.  Everyone jumps slightly at his sudden appearance. Castile never fails with the uninformed visits. 

He places his two fingers in the middle of my forehead and a bright light flashes over my eyes.  I feel a fuzzy and tingling feeling travel throughout my body, mainly focusing on my thigh.  I look down to see that it heals immediately.  "Oh, woah.  Thank you."  I say surprised, giving Cas a thankful smile. 

Sam raises a brow in slight annoyance as he turns away from me to look up at Cas.  Sam seems a little agitated with Cas, maybe because he just did all that work on my leg for nothing when Castiel could've just healed me in the first place.  "What are you doing here?"  Dean asks.  "I came to check on you all.  I'm quite surprised Elena isn't dead yet."  He says with an incredibly serious look on his face.  

Oh, um.  Okay.

It kind of scares me how serious he is, but I do agree.  "You should let me help.  I could wipe these things out in seconds.  I am an angel, of course."  Castiel says with a confident yet confused look on his face.  He always looks confused.  "Actually, we could use your help.  I need you to stay here with Elena while Sam and I go finish off the rest of these suckers."  Dean says as he begins to type on Sam's laptop.

Cas just kind of nods, agreeing to do what Dean says.  This makes me a little angry.  I'm not just some damsel in distress.  I can help.  Especially now that I'm all healed up.  I decide to fight back, "What?  No.  Just let me come with you.  Please.  This time is no different than the rest". 

Castiel turns toward me and gives me a look of concern.  "Actually Elena, every single time you are even in the same room as Dean your life is at risk.  You yourself even put Dean's life at a higher risk.  You are his biggest weakness."  As he says this I look over at Dean.  I notice him pause what he's doing on Sam's laptop and look down, perhaps going into thought.  "You both are actually a lot more alike than you may think.  You're both practically the same person except in male and female form.  Your past and Dean's past have a lot in common.  You're not just any girl, Elena, you're literally the perfect girl for Dean.  So, he obviously cares a lot about you.  Therefore, you should listen to him when he asks you to stay behind so that you don't get hurt.  He just wants you to be safe."  Cas explains.  Dean gets up and looks over at me.  "He's right."  He says, grabbing his jacket and gun.  He slips his gun into his pocket and shuts Sam's laptop.  "There's another abandoned building slash home a mile or so behind the one we were just at.  I guarantee you that's where the rest of them are."  Dean says, looking over at Sam.  "You're probably right.  But we need to be prepared for some anger, they're gonna fight back hard.  You killed two from their pack."  Sam says, getting up from his knees and walking into the bathroom.  He turns on the sink and runs water over the washcloth, trying to clean out all the blood.  "You all go ahead.  I'll stay here with Elena."  Castiel says, standing in front of me.  "Oh my gosh are you kidding?"  I whine again. 

"Elena, no.  You're a lot safer here.  Let Sam and I take this one."  Dean says as he walks over to me.  He kneels down in front of me as I sit on the edge of the bed.  "I only leave you out of some of our hunts because I care about your safety.  I can't let anything happen to you—you have to understand that.  Please."  He kisses my forehead and stands back up.  "We'll be back soon."  Dean says to Castiel and I.  Cas nods as we both watch Sam and Dean gather their weapons and walk out the door.

Not even a minute passes before Castile starts with some questions.

"How are you feeling?"  Castiel asks as he sits down in the chair across from me.  "What do you mean?  Like physically?"  I ask.  He slowly shakes his head, "No, I mean emotionally." I narrow my eyes slightly in confusion. "I feel okay, why?" I question. "You've been through a lot Elena. You left your previous life for a better one, and honestly I don't see much of a change in this one. Of course, it's all meant to be. It's practically written. This was all supposed to happen in order for you to meet Dean and for him to find a woman who truly understands him. But you can change the future. Are you sure this is the life you want?" He asks. I just look at him a moment. I lick my lips and I look down toward the floor. "The thing is, Castiel, I don't think I can actually get away from this kind of life. I think I'm meant for it. It will always find me...there's no sense in running away from something that will always just find you again." I say as I look back over at him.

He stares at me for a little bit before speaking again. "You're the right one for him, you know. You're practically the only girl in this whole universe that understands his life and what you should expect with him. He needs someone like you in his life." He gets up after saying this and paces back and forth in front of me. "If I'm so great for him then why do you keep trying to make me re-think what I want? Or what's best for me?" I ask.

He stops in his tracks and looks over at me. "Love is never a clear, easy thing Elena. There's sacrifice. And you have to decide whether he or this life is worth sacrificing for." As he says this I think about his words and they hit me harder than usual. He's making me feel like I have to make some huge decision right now. He notices my discomfort and he speaks up, "I don't mean to scare you. I'm just being honest." I just look at him, rubbing the tips of my fingers together nervously. "So, what exactly are you telling me?  What are you saying?"  I ask.  "I'm saying that you are perfect for him and he is perfect for you, if this life is worth it to you.  Dean isn't an easy person, he's stubborn and strong and when he cares for someone his love is overflowing like a crashing ocean wave and sometimes his protectiveness will come off as incredibly controlling to you.  You are somewhat the same, you are strong and selfless and just as caring as he is.  This is where the two of you will clash.  Your desire to protect each other could eventually tear the two of you apart.  It makes you weaker.  So, be careful.  Compromise.  If this is the kind of life you want to live, which is really all he can offer you, then live it.  Be careful, that's all I'm really saying.  Be careful.  Listen to him when he wants to protect you."  He comes back and sits next to me on the bed.  I slowly nod, understanding what he means toward me—but for me, not much thought goes into what I want in this scenario.