Chapter 25: Lawrence, Kansas

I look up at Sam and Dean in the front seat.  I then look over at Garth, who awkwardly sits beside me.  He has a few bruises and such on him from where Katherine just beat him for no reason.  I feel sorry for him.  "Are you okay?"  I ask him, breaking the silence. 

I notice Dean look back at me in the rear view mirror.  Garth looks over at me and gives me a friendly smile.  "I am, thank you for asking.  Just a few bruises.  I'll be fine."  He says.  I just nod and smile, looking back up at Sam and Dean.  "Why is it so quiet in here?"  I ask.  "Why didn't you tell us you have an evil vampire doppelgänger?" Dean questions immediately, causing me to feel a slight jab of guilt.

"Garth thought you were her.  He had Sam and I convinced that you might've been her.  That's why we were going there.  We were trying to find out if you were a vamp."  Dean says.  "Actually, Katherine sent that text to you guys, not me."  I get a little upset with Dean, "I didn't tell you guys because it was irrelevant.  How do I even bring up that conversation?  I didn't think she'd be popping back into my life anytime soon.  You should've just talked to me about it and all of this could've been avoided."  I say, getting a slightly angry tone with him.  "Yeah let me just ask you if you're a vampire because people are dying and my buddy Garth says he saw you killing people.  That would've gone over well."  Dean says in a smartass tone.  This makes me even more angry.  "Yeah—okay, but, you could've said that to me, I can take it. And then I would've known it was Katherine."  I roll my eyes to myself and look out the window. 

"You can't keep things like that from me Elena.  I need to know things like that."  Dean says, driving a little faster as we merge onto the highway.  I snap back at him, "Dean you're the one that lied to me the whole way up to the mansion."  Dean stays silent for a moment.  "Elena—I had to lie to you.  I was just doing my job."  He finally says in a more calm voice.  "Well I should've been more important  than your job in that moment.  Okay?  It's never okay to lie to me."  I say angrily, looking out the window.  Dean doesn't say anything back to me this time.  He stays silent, looking at the road ahead while he drives. 

I see him shake his head a little but I don't comment on it.  I don't wanna fight anymore. It makes me so incredibly frustrated when he keeps things from me. He tends to do that a large amount and I'm not okay with it. Even if he thinks he's protecting me, it's still not okay. This is not just his job anymore it's mine now too and we work together as a team.
   "I'm sorry...for thinking you were a vampire.  I got you all into a big mess and I shouldn't have.  I really am sorry."  Garth says as he looks over at me apologetically.  I can tell how sincere he is and I'm not angry with him at all.  It's also very kind of him to be apologizing to me, he doesn't even know me.  "It's okay, it really is.  I'm not mad, it's just..."  I say, my thoughts beginning to trail off.  I look out the window away from everyone, trying to think of what to say.  I can't really explain how I feel.  I guess it's mainly that when anything from my past, for example: Katherine, decide to show back up into my present life I just get so angry and unhappy.  I want to be as far away from my old life as possible.  It's in my past for a reason and I want to leave it there.

"It's just what?"  Sam asks, turning his head back toward me.  "I don't like some of the people from my old life showing up in my new life.  I just want to... move on..."  I say as I look over at Garth.  He half smiles and nods,  "I can understand that."  I just nod. 

"How about we all go get some good food?"  Dean suggests, looking into my eyes through the rear view mirror.  I look right back into his eyes and I nod, "Sounds good."  Sam and Garth agree.

We all decide to go to a cool cafe right outside of Kansas.  We discover that there's a drive-thru, and considering the injuries of Garth, we decide instead of going inside we should just get the food through the drive-thru. Dean gets a burger, fries, and a Coke, while Sam gets a Caesar salad and water. Garth gets a burger, fries, and Coke and I get a chicken wrap, fries, and water.