Chapter Ten - I Can Be Pretty Cool Sometimes

Chapter Ten - "I Can Be Pretty Cool Sometimes"

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

My thumbs danced across the buttons of the controller, my eyes wide and glued to the TV. I drowned out all the sounds of everyone screaming around me and focused on the video game that I was currently trying to beat Caden in.

"Shit shit shit shit," he mumbled to himself.

"Oh my God," I jumped, causing my character to avoid death. I had no idea what game we were even playing, but we were both close to dying and it was a matter of who died first. AKA, loses.

"You almost got it!" Melissa cheered at me as I kept running around frantically. Dylan and Beckett were screaming at Caden and we were in a full blown war it seemed.

"No! Oh my God," I screamed again, dodging a bullet – literally. With a few more minutes of running, avoiding explosions, gunshots and things of that nature, a bomb went off right near Caden's character and he died.

Unfortunate, but that meant I won.

On the TV, the screen turned black. What looked like computerized blood started dripping down it, and Player One - You Lost came up in a bright yellow font.

"Ha! I won!" I jumped up with a grin.

"Wow," Caden slumped back into the cushions of his couch. "I can't believe I just got beat by a girl."

"Told you I'd win," I smirked, ruffling his blonde curls.

"I gotta say, you did pretty good," he shrugged, renewing the game so it could start over. "I'm impressed."

"Hell yeah I did," I gloated. "And you should be."

"Dude, you suck," Dylan chuckled. Caden shot him a deathly glare, as Melissa tore the controller out of my hands and sat down next to Caden.

"My turn," she smirked. Caden looked at her in a bit of shock, but he smiled and started the game, and the two of them were off.

Dylan, Beckett and I were sitting off to the side of them on the couch, with Melissa and Caden on the floor.

"I think your sister and my brother might hit it off," Dylan nudged my shoulder.

"And what if they do?" I smirked, glancing up at him.

"Then we'll both be at the wedding," he joked with his usual smirk back on his lips. I rolled my eyes playfully and turned back to watch our siblings scream at each other. "So I never really got the low-down on who that guy was that rudely tore you away from our conversation."

He was talking about Chase, obviously, and how he was annoyed that I was talking to Dylan at Level 3. I shook my head, leaning back against the couch and crossed my arms.

"That was my stupid boyfriend, Chase," I chuckled. "He's a jealous idiot."

"Hey, he's just doing his job," Dylan shrugged.

"No, his job is not to hover over me and interrupt my conversations," I denied it.

"Well, then he's making sure that you aren't talking to any creeps," he smirked at me.

"Yeah, well, you're hardly a creep," I smirked too, bumping his shoulder with mine.

"How long have you guys been together?" He asked.

"It'll be two years in August," I nodded.

"Wow. That's a long time. For teenagers, at least," he laughed lightly.