Chapter Eleven - This Must Mean That You Trust Me

Chapter Eleven - "This Must Mean That You Trust Me"

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

On Saturday night, it was the last night of vacation before my family and I left the following day. The sun was starting to set and my parents were relaxing inside watching a movie, while Dylan's parents were out to eat somewhere alone.

Melissa, Caden and Beckett were also watching a movie together at the Lockwood's house, and Dylan and I were bored and wanted to do something other than stay inside. It was my last night on vacation, but apparently Melissa didn't have the same thoughts.

"We should take the boat out," Dylan turned to me.

"Your boat?" I raised an eyebrow. He nodded in response. "Sure, why not? Sounds fun."

"Alright," he smiled, pushing himself off of the couch. "We're taking the boat out. You guys wanna come?" He asked the rest of our crew.

"Eh," they all mumbled. They were in a trance, staring at the TV and zoned into watching The Avengers.

Dylan and I shrugged, so we waved goodbye and left their house. I looked up at the sky to see that it had a warm, red glow to it. The sun dipped down in between the trees, making its way through some of the branches and glimmering on the lake water.

"I love the sky here. It makes it feel like I'm in a totally different world," I sighed.

"It is pretty cool," Dylan agreed, as I saw him nod out of the corner of my eye. We walked down to the dock where the boat was hitched and we carefully hopped in. I took a seat on the bench, as Dylan plopped down in the drivers seat and prepared himself to drive. "So, since you agreed to come on this little adventure, this must mean that you trust me," he glanced back at me and smirked.

"Are you sure you know how to drive this thing?" I chuckled.

"Yes, I got my boating license when I was sixteen. I'm legal," he grinned at me from over his shoulder.

"Is there anything you can't do?" I shook my head, leaning my elbow on the edge of the boat and looking over the side of it at the water.

"Nope," he curtly said, making me giggle. He started up the boat and within moments, we were sailing away from our houses and headed deeper through the lake.

"Wow, this is awesome," I gasped, feeling the wind whip through my hair as he drove us around. With sharp turns and splashing waves, we boated around the lake until we stopped in the middle and he turned it off.

We floated aimlessly in the quiet for a little while. The sky now a cool, purple sprinkled with stars across it.

"You know," he started to say. He kicked his feet up and leaned back in his chair, resting his hands on his stomach. I kept leaning over the edge of the boat, staring up at the sky. "You're pretty cool."

I smiled. "You're pretty cool, too." I glanced over at him to catch him smirking too.

"I mean it though. You're a lot cooler than most people I know," he shrugged.

"Well, I'd say the same thing about you," I said as my smile widened a bit. He smiled back at me as we stayed quiet for a few minutes, observing the night around us.

The lake water sloshed against the side of the boat, making a really comforting sound that could put me to sleep. There were crickets and all kinds of bugs chirping into the late night that echoed around us. I noticed the crescent moon hanging in the sky above, with more stars scattered around it. Now the sky turned a deeper purple and the lights from all the lake houses illuminated the water beneath us.