Chapter Fourteen - Maybe There's Just No Reason Sometimes

Chapter Fourteen - "Maybe There's Just No Reason Sometimes"

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Waking up the next morning was a bit rough, since the hangover kicked in as soon as I opened my eyes. The sun was shining, yet again, making it hard for me to see and sending shooting pains through my skull. It seemed to be late morning and if I knew myself well enough, I wouldn't be falling back asleep.

I groaned, trying not to be too loud as I jammed my face into my pillow, which was the most comfortable thing I had ever slept on.

When I finally picked up my all-too-heavy head minutes later, I saw Chase still sleeping soundly next to me. His breathing was loud, with his face smashed in his pillow and his limbs sprawled out everywhere.

I laughed to myself, slipping out of the bed and creeping to the bathroom to wash my face and take an Advil. Splashing warm water on my skin and scrubbing away last night made me feel more awake, and my headache practically vanished when I left the bathroom.

I couldn't tell if any of my friends were awake because all of the doors were shut to every bedroom, so I shrugged and went back to Chase's room. My stomach rumbled with hunger as I walked down the hall and I laughed quietly to myself. I need food pronto.

Slowly opening the door, I saw that in the short amount of time I was gone, Chase had woken up.

"Hey sleepyhead," I smiled to him.

"Oh, hey," he looked up at me and seemed a bit startled.

"How you feeling?" I asked, going over to the drawers across the room. I opened them up and started searching for a pair of comfy shorts since I realized I was only in a big t-shirt that belonged to Chase.

"Um, okay, I guess. You?" I heard his voice. It sounded a bit shaky and uneven.

"Fine," I shrugged, pausing my search through the drawer to look up at him. He was sitting up in the bed, staring down at the comforter and playing with it between his fingers. He was chewing on his bottom lip and looked worried about something, and it was bugging me.

"Hey." His head perked up and he finally looked at me. "What's wrong?" I asked, knitting my eyebrows together.

He sighed heavily, running his fingers through his hair. Now I know something is up. I was about to ask again before he opened up and spat something out.

"Lindsay I did something really really stupid last night," he said, his words quick and morphed together.

"What... what do you mean?" I still looked at him in confusion, my voice low.

He shook his head and put his hands on his face, mumbling something into them. "Chase, just tell me." And yet again he didn't say anything. "What- did you throw up?" And he shook his head. "Did you break something?" Another shake of the head. "Did you hurt someone?"

He paused before shaking his head again and then took his hands off his face. "Well, kind of," he muttered.

"What is it?"

"You're not gonna be able to forgive me," he spoke in barely a whisper.

"Hey," I got up off the ground, abandoning my drawer search and walking over to him. I stood on his side of the bed, leaning down and looking into his eyes. But he didn't look back at me. "Whatever it is, you can tell me. I'll forgive, it's okay. Just tell me what's wrong. Okay? I love you," I said in a soft voice.

He let out a shaky breath and kept his gaze on the bed sheets for a silent minute before looking up at me. His warm brown eyes met mine, but something was awfully different about them. They didn't have the same glow that they usually have.