Chapter 12: Bonding

Please be advised that the following contains a trigger warning that addresses the topic of child abuse. If you have experienced or are sensitive to discussions of child abuse, it is recommended that you exercise caution and consider whether or not you wish to proceed with reading further.

2:38 am

....

2:41 am

....

2: 42 am

I can't sleep!

I've been tossing and turning for the past two hours and nothing. Only a couple of hours ago Drake was here and he left me a rose as a birthday present. What the hell am I supposed to make of that? That gesture was the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me before. Then again, he's a player. I haven't known him for long but everything in him reeks of player. That and the fact that he also confessed, and I quote: "that he has had many girls to beg him to take them to bed". Ugh, when did my life get so complicated? I miss my Netflix, popcorn, and chocolate quiet nights.

There are a lot of things I don't get about him. How did he know it was my birthday? How did he know where my room is? Maybe Tori might be guilty about this whole situation. She's my best friend but when she thinks something's going to favor me she does everything she can, and she thinks Drake and I have a chance.

He knows things about me, and I don't feel comfortable with it. If this is all a game for him then I'm in, but I must upgrade my game. I need to know him better. I need to know his weaknesses and desires. I need a plan.

~~~~~~~~

"Emily!"

"What?!" I sit up on my bed with my eyes closed.

"We are taking dad to the airport. Get ready and be downstairs in ten," Nate said and shut the door. I'm too tired for this, so I laid again on my bed.

Oh God, what time is it? I opened one eye.

"SEVEN THIRTY?!" Shit! It's too early. Daddy can go without me, right?

Then, I heard someone pounding on my door.

"Emily you better get your ass off of that bed or I'll drag you down myself!" Jake shouted from the hall.

"Dammit!" I hissed throwing the duvet off me and got out of bed. I went to my drawers and got my underwear and threw the drawers shut making a lot of noise. I tell you, I'm not a morning person at all.

I took a quick shower and went to my closet. I decided on a white high-low top that had NERD written on the front -oh, I know. The irony- and denim cut offs shorts. I put on my combat boots and untangled my hair so the curls could be visible. I went to get my purse, but I couldn't find it.

I went downstairs and kept looking, but I found nothing. I went to the kitchen to see all my brothers and dad sat around the kitchen island.

"Told you it would take this long. Pay up." Brody raised his hand in front of Matty.

"Damn it, Emily you just cost me twenty bucks," Matty complained, taking his wallet out of his pocket.

"Dad!" I complained.

"Yes, sweetheart?"

"Aren't you going to say something?"

"Yes, you also cost me twenty." My alleged father also took out his wallet and gave a twenty dollar bill to Brody.

"Always nice to make deals with you gentlemen." Brody got up and went upstairs.

"Ugh, you guys are broke, aren't you?" I asked Nate and Jake who were still eating their breakfast.