Chapter 13: From confessions to crashing quinceañeros

"You -wait -what?" He stuttered. It was the first time I saw him without his macho-brave act.

"Well, I got molested as a child. Not in its entirety, but it was scaring enough. I won't go into details but that pretty much is why my brothers act the way they do. They somehow feel responsible for it; even though there was nothing they could've done about it." I couldn't even look him in the eyes. Somehow I felt ashamed.

After an awkward silence, Drake spoke, "Emily" I still couldn't face him. "Emily, look at me." He got closer but now he was a lot more careful. He obviously was trying not to touch me. This is what I was trying to avoid, now he is going to change. Not that I'm a fan of his personality, but I prefer that he would be himself and not someone who treats me like I'm made of glass.

He placed his fingers under my chin and made me look at him. "Emily, you have nothing to be ashamed of." A single tear escaped my eye and he wiped it up with his other hand. We sat on that position looking at each other for a while. Suddenly he took my hand and stood up. I looked at him confused. "Come on, let's go." He urged pulling my hand lightly.

I stood up. "Where are we going?" He was practically dragging me out the door.

"Somewhere you can clear your mind." He shrugged walking out the front door with me on tow. "I made you feel like shit, and I'm trying to make up for it." 

"What? But where are we going? And do you know how late it is? My brothers are going to be here soon." I tried to stop him but he was determined.

"Come on, if you don't like it I'll bring you back. Your brothers won't even know you left." 

"Okay, okay! At least let me change. I'm not going anywhere like this." I motioned to myself to make my point clear. 

"Alright, but don't take long." He said and took off running to my bed jumping in the air and landing like a sack of potatoes on it. "Just like I thought it would feel," he murmured. 

I looked at him like if he was a demented person. Guess he was too drunk to even remember how it felt the first time he laid there. 

I shook my head and went to my closet to find something decent to wear. Where was he taking me? I had no idea but I think there's no where I couldn't go that skinny jeans and a graphic tee wouldn't suffice. 

After ten minutes of me fixing my hair, trying -key word here, trying- to put on some make up, getting dressed, and the incessant whining of Drake, we finally were out of the house. He opened the passenger door of his car and motioned for me to get in. I hesitated for a moment but got in.

It wasn't long when we were on a simple yet pretty neighborhood. We stopped right in front of a simple one story colonial house. When we got out I heard music. We were walking towards the house when Drake turned to walk by the side where a wooden gate was open.

We got to the backyard and I had to stand there to take it all in. It was beautiful. There were dinner tables with white table cloths and a beautiful small flower arrangement with different color flowers. The place was fairly big and the back yard ended on the lake. Everything was illuminated with string light bulbs which gave it a romantic feel. There were people talking and laughing and some were dancing by a table were a DJ was.

"Juaquin!" An elderly woman called and came to him with open arms. "I thought that you wouldn't come, sweetheart." She kissed Drake on both cheeks. He was clearly embarrassed and for his sake I tried very hard not to laugh, especially at his unpronounceable name. It didn't work, a giggle escaped. Then she turned to look at me. "And who is this lovely young lady?" She had a smile and a warm expression on her face. I smiled back.