Chapter 2: Her Story

Several days later, Éomer was walking down a long, wide corridor. On one side was an extended balcony that overlooked the courtyard of the palace. On the other, a series of doors opened away from the corridor and into bedrooms for many of the residents of the palace. One of them was opened and Éowyn, his sister, stepped out. As if in answer to his puzzled expression she said, "Déorhild."

"How is she?" Éomer asked.

"She is recovering more quickly from her wounds than many seasoned warriors. 'Tis strange, though, where she comes from..." She replied.

"Has she not said anything to you?" Éomer questioned.

"No, not exactly. She seems reluctant to speak yet. I think she's still recovering, and she has the wisdom, unlike many, to be calm whilst her wounds heal."

"How severe were her wounds?"

Éowyn paused. "She had many cuts and bruises on her arms, and face; a nasty gash on her right leg, and a nearly mortal wound in her chest. I'm ready to believe her story whatever it is."

"I am ready now, Éowyn. If you wish to hear my story, than you shall." Déorhild's voice could be heard through the open door.

Éowyn held open the door for her brother before coming into the room herself. The door she left open. They both pulled up stools to sit down on. Éomer looked at Déorhild. She was thin and pale, but she was clean now and he could clearly see her features. Her golden curly hair framed her face. She had a broad forehead that showed healing cuts, but the bruises were gone. Her olive green eyes were small, but bright.

"I live, or used to live, in a mountian village called Rohandras. It is guarding the Gap of Rohan. My father was from--from," she paused abruptly and then continued, "eastern Rohan, near the sea and settled there permenantly a few years ago, leaving us with friends that we had grown up with. My mother died at my birth, but I had three older brothers so I wasn't alone. For many years we were safe. No threats of orcs. But in recent years many of the guards, of which I was one, noticed that all was not well at Isengard which we could see at the end of the pass. The trees were being cut down and dragged away, and since a few months ago, smoke began to rise unceaselessly from the Isengard. Then one day, the orcs came." Tears began to fall down her face. "There were so many. We were caught unawares. Those who had the knowledge and use of arms put up a defence, but it was too late. The women and children panicked and ran everywhere only to be cut down as the orcs came to them." She was sobbing softly now and bitterness crept into her voice. "I saw two of my brothers killed before my eyes. Then a man ran up to me leading a horse. He told me to ride with haste for Edoras and seek help from the King. I had been wounded many times during the fight and didn't know if I could make it, but I climbed upon the horse and rode swiftly towards here." She paused and eventually calmed down before continuing. "I was stabbed in the chest leaving the village and couldn't ride as fast as I wished too. I arrived here anyway, but I fear it is too late. I think you know the rest of the story." She finished her narative and looked up. Éowyn sat looking down at her hands and Éomer was looking at Déorhild. "That is all," she said.

Éowyn stood up. "Thank you for telling us what had happened, but you must rest now."

Déorhild nodded.

"Come Éomer," Éowyn said.

Éomer followed her out of the door, but glanced at Déorhild for a few second before closing the door.

Déorhild laid down, and fell asleep.