Chapter 17: Stowaway

Déorhild stood still, stunned, as a swirl of emotions flooded her brain, nearly sending her reeling. She closed her eyes as the events that had happened just a few moments before replayed in her mind. When the memory of Éomer kissing her came to mind, she felt a sudden warmth surge through her form and her eyes blinked open in surprise. Can I really be in love? After all that has happened?  The thought stayed in her mind till but a moment later and then she rushed out of her room and ran to the balcony over-looking the courtyard. Éomer was shouting orders to his men as they prepared to ride out. Déorhild thought for a moment of coming down and just telling him right then and there her feelings, but the feeling of rashness past and his last words came to her: "Tell my sister I am leaving."  Her mind made up, she turned left and began her search for Éowyn.

A few minutes later, she found her in the room where they had laid Théodred, Éowyn slowly stroking his pale, cold face over and over again as the silent tears fell down her face. Déorhild paused in the doorway before knocking lightly on the open door. Éowyn turned around, wet streaks on her face. "What is it?" she asked in a dull, broken voice.

Déorhild opened her mouth and closed it, stepping into the room and kneeling beside her. "It's Éomer."

"What's wrong?" Éowyn's golden brows were drawn together in worry.

"He's been banished from Edoras.--"

"By who?!" the sister interrupted.

"By... By Théoden."

Éowyn gaped at her. "No... It can't be possible..." she whispered in shock.

"Aye, but it is. He told me so himself but a few moments ago. He's leaving now with his men."

Éowyn rose immediately to her feet and ran back the way Déorhild had come, pausing and looking down at the courtyard as Éomer shouted a command and they rode out. Déorhild watched Éowyn as she slowly turned around, her face grave but calm and composed. "Do you love my brother?"

Déorhild opened her eyes in shock. "What?"

"Do you love my brother?" she repeated, questioningly, searchingly.

The other woman looked at the ground as the blood rushed to her face. "Aye, aye, I do."

"Then go. Ride out with them."

"But they'll send me back!"

"No, change your clothes to that of a man's. They'll never recognize you as long as you always keep your helmet on and pitch your voice lower."

"Éomer said I had to take care of you," Déorhild protested.

Éowyn laughed, though it was bitter and not light-hearted. "I can take care of myself. Gríma wouldn't dare do anything. But no, you must  go. Please. I can bear his banishment better if you are with him."

Déorhild returned her gaze, but said nothing.

"Watch out for him, that he doesn't do anything too rash. I want him to remain alive till the banishment is lifted. Besides," she added solemnly, "I know he loves you. Go. Most likely you'll be safer with him than here."

Déorhild nodded. "Are you certain of this?"

"Aye. Now go, before I make you do it myself."

Déorhild turned on her heel and went to her room, closing the door. Then she slipped out of her dress into clothes that had been her brother's, Lindúin's, that she had taken from Rohandras a few months ago. It felt strange to be wearing breeks and a tunic instead of a long, flowing dress. She bound up her hair and belted the tunic, slipping into worn, leather boots, grabbing a cloak and blanket that she rolled up and tied with leather straps before striding down the corridor headed for the courtyard.