Chapter 14: Accused

Déorhild was writing at the small, wooden table in her room when a hurried knock sounded on the door. She said, "Come in," and Éomer opened the door. She turned around and saw him, exclaiming, puzzled, "What is it?"

His face wore a concerned and grave look and he replied, "You're needed in the Golden Hall."

"It is about the fire last night, isn't it?" she declared it more than questioned it.

He nodded.

Déorhild stood and followed him to the Golden Hall. The day was cold and a mere breath of wind stirred about the place. The skies above were grey and threatening, offering little comfort to Déorhild who felt the feeling of dread that had not completely faded away from last night rise up again inside her. And when they entered the Golden Hall of Meduseld, dark and gloom-rided, the faded tapestries telling of past battles hanging limp on the walls, it was even worse.

Théoden sat on his throne, bowed and bent, his hair thin and white, quite different from when she had first seen him so many months ago. His son stood to one side, as well as his niece and nephew. Gríma stood on the other, clothed in black, as usual, his hands clasped in front of him and an evil smile lurking in his hideously dark eyes.

Once Déorhild stood in front of the king, the hall, which had been quiet, grew even quieter as if everyone was holding their breath, waiting for what came next. Then Théoden spoke, "Déorhild, you are summonded here, charged with the offence of burning down the newly built barn of Éodruith. Have you anything to say in your defense?"

"Aye, your majesty. I did not burn down the building. There are witnesses who can testify that I was with them when the place went up in flames."

"And who might they be?"

Déorhild glanced to the right side of the king. "Your son, Théodred, your niece, Éowyn, and your nephew, Éomer."

The king wearily turned his head. "Is that the truth?"

"Aye," two of them said, the other nodding.

Théoden turned his head back to the woman before him and said with a cruel, mocking tone in his voice, "But if you did not do it, then who did?"

"She is the culprit!" a cry ran out from the throng behind her. Déorhild froze and then slowly turned around to see the man who had owned the now pile of ashes come up, his hat clutched in his hands. He walked up till he stood between her and the king. "She is the one who did it!"

"What proof do you have of this?" Théodred uncharacteristically spoke on her behalf.

"She is the stranger!" the man protested. "She came from a mysterious place and has brought evil fortune upon us all."

"What evil fortune, exactly?" Gríma asked, the gleam in his eyes mocking Déorhild.

"The increased attacks on our borders, the failing of our kingdom, the deaths of our young ones from the plague. It all started when she--" he pointed at Déorhild standing in mute horror-- "came."

"The question is not what she has caused, but if she was the one who burned your barn," Éomer said, frustrated.

Éodruith snorted. "If she didn't do it, then who did?"

This time, Théodred spoke. "We, that is, the four of us, were gathered after the last dance, talking, when we saw three boys run outside, torches in their hands. The next moment, the building was up in flames. I know the boys' names and they also have been known to do such things before."

"What boys were they?"

"Cruithne, Théonin, and Aelthelfirth."

The man's face was contorted in anger as he said, "I no longer hold the charges against Déorhild, but those rascals better watch their steps or I'll deal them justice." With that, he turned on his heel and left the hall. The rest of the villagers soon followed and the hall gradually emptied till only Déorhild was left.

The silence was strange after the rustling and the shouting that had taken place but a few moments before. She was glad they had found that she was not guilty of that deed, but the other things the man had said weighed on her mind. She was not the cause of them, but they had happened after she had arrived and if the townspeople never trusted her from the start, why would they not accuse her of them? 

But there was something going on, something happening behind the scenes. Déorhild understood now what Éomer had said, about something happening. Théoden was acting and looking far older than he really was and Gríma was appearing fouler as the days went by. Something was definately going on and she had a feeling that soon, things would get even worse. 

If only she knew how right she was.

So guys! Thanks for reading this terrible chapter. It's been really hard to write these last few parts, and I hope you don't mind them being a little short. Trying to finish school before summer and working on my other stories doesn't leave much time for this one not to mention I've been struggling with writer's block. I can't wait till I actually get to the part when Éomer's banished because I've mentally written that part long ago, but till then I'm a little stuck. Therefore...I'd really appreciate it if you'd bear with me and understand. Thank you for reading that rather lenghty post. XD I'm out!