chapter 0

Brendan

Sixth grade.

We were eleven.

I'd say my crush on her developped around that time, a year before Chad and Michelle Evans moved in town.

I fell head over heels for her smile, big heart and kindness.

Man, Faith was my weakness.

As we got older, while the other girls started wearing expensive clothes, she remained trendy with her casual thrifted shirts and I knew it wasn't by choice, but rather because it was her only option.

She had been my first friend.

She had been the first one who had dared talking to me before I lost the extra weight that acquired me the nickname pudgy from the whole school, before I had taken off my braces and got rid of my glasses and before I stopped wearing pastel polos —what a time.

She had wanted to be my friend before it became a thing.

She had known me, the real me, before I had gotten popular.

Right before I became the Brendan Wenthward and transitioned into a jock overnight.

She was the one who knew me best, amongst everyone else in our group of friends.

I'd give everything to go back to sixth grade, where I hadn't messed up yet and where things were so much simpler.

But I couldn't.

The only thing I could do was do everything in my will to get her to listen to me.

All she had to do was listen to my story.

Then maybe I'd get her back.

Maybe.