chapter 21

Faith

Today was going to be my last day of work, but instead of focusing on my impending vacation time, all my mind could do was replay the events from last week by Brendan's pool. If you had told me at the very beginning of the summer that I'd be developing feelings for Brendan Wenthward, I would've called you a delusional liar, but here I was, daydreaming about this stupid boy.

I hadn't told my friends yet about what happened, partly because I was apprehending Meghan's reaction and also because I didn't want to deal with Nadine's I-told-you-so's just yet.

I looked at the large clock suspended on the wall before my desk, watching the seconds tick away slowly. Somebody cleared their throat, making me snap out of my trance-like phase. I looked up to see Sebastian, holding flowers and a narrow rectangular object.

I lifted an eyebrow in his direction, silently imploring him to explain his presence.

"I heard it was your last day, and as much as I want to say good riddance, I'm going to miss you. A lot," he said and I felt a strange feeling stirring within me. Sebastian? Saying he'd miss me? "Well, not you exactly, but more so the petty trivial drama you brought to this dull office. I have to say, you really kept me entertained throughout my entire internship."

I chuckled out at the absurdness of the whole thing. Sebastian was a trip.

"Well, I'm glad I made your workplace experience much more bearable," I replied with a courteous nod, hoping he'd leave soon.

"Yeah, me too. That's why I brought you this," he said, extending what he held in his arms towards me. "Call it a departure gift."

My eyes widened as I looked at the flowers, uncontrollable panic seizing my mind as I remembered the clues Xander sent me through stupid bouquets. But there was no note attached to Sebastian pretty lilacs.

I placed the flowers on my lap before picking up the heavy object nestled in between a few petals. I almost burst out laughing. It was a framed headshot of Sebastian, signed with his name.

"Thank you, really. I appreciate it," I manage to let out, trying so hard to keep my composure as my ex-coworker appeared as serious as ever.

Sebastian left and I allowed myself to wheeze out a laugh at the exact moment Brendan Wenthward decided to show up at my desk.

He looked great in his confident tracksuit, decidedly walking my way.

"Is it time?" he asked, almost impatiently when he got up to me.

"Soon," I responded with a smile.

"Wait, did you say now?" Brendan joked with a deadpan face as he pushed the files on my desk to the side and sat down in front of me. I couldn't help but let out a chuckle when he scooted over. "Ready for Mason's party?"

I cocked my head to the side. "It's a 90's themed party, is it even Mason's? It has Nadine's name written all over it."

Brendan laughed. "You know Mason can't plan his own birthday party to save his life. Can't blame a guy for enlisting his girlfriend's help."

Right.

"Besides, I should be asking you if you're ready," I countered. "You're the one who claimed you'd be coming up with both you and I's costumes."