Chapter Thirty - Bruce, That You?

I got James to run me around the park. That isn't just an expression. He ran while pushing me. It was amazing. I also had a small travel-size IV of morphine to keep it in my system which may have added to how much I enjoyed it.

Geez. I sound like a druggy.

We stayed out for a couple of hours before James told me I was getting too tired and we should head back. Sadly, he wasn't using that as an excuse for him being tired. That's right, James running me around the park tired me out more than him. He's disgusting.

"Do I really have to get back in that bed?" I whine tiredly as he wheels me into my room.

"Yes."

He ignores my sigh and puts my right arm around his neck. This is going to hurt. I lean forward and he puts one arm behind my back and his other under my legs. As he lifts me, I try to mask my pain with a very fake, shallow laugh. James gives me a look, rightfully concerned.

"Your hair tickles?" I wheeze.

"I should've waited to take you out. You're obviously not ready to be moved," he says with regret.

"No! So help me, if you take that wheelchair away, I'm gonna...gonna..."

'What could you possibly do?' his expression asks as well as my common sense.

My eyes flash with inspiration. "I'll get Tony to magnetize your arm."

His eyes darken in response. "Fine." James moves to set me on the bed. Before he pulls away, he stares into my eyes. "But good luck going anywhere without me to pick you up."

I tighten the grip of my arm around the back of his neck. It's not like I'm strong enough to keep him from standing up, but I know he won't move if it'll put me in more pain. "Aren't you supposed to be a superhero now? Shouldn't you be helping damsels in distress? Not keeping them locked in a tower, you ogre!" I growl grumpily. It isn't very intimidating when I'm still trying to breathe properly.

We glare playfully at each other for a moment, until the noise of an uncomfortable throat-clearing sounds from my doorway. I drop my arm and James snaps away like a released rubber band.

"I um, I'm sorry if I'm interrupting something..." Steve trails off, standing stiffly.

"Oh, no, no. I was just threatening James. Wasn't I, James?" I look up to him for support, but instead he glances evilly at me, revenge in his eyes.

He gives Steve a cocky grin. "Anne was just telling me what would happen if I didn't take her out again. Guess she had a great time alone with me today." James looks back to me. "Didn't you, doll?"

'What is he doing? Big weirdo.'

I look to Steve, expecting him to laugh or something, but he's studying James intently for I don't know what. It's strange, like he's galled both at the situation and at himself for feeling that way.

"Did you need something?" James asks Steve pretty rudely.

This makes Steve swallow down whatever is bothering him. "I just wanted to see how Anne's doing, I wasn't able to check in with her earlier today like I normally do."

James just keeps his arrogant grin. He looks back to me and rests his metal hand on my shoulder. "I'll see you later, okay?" He asks gently, but his eyes sparkle with mischief.

"Okay," I drag out the word, trying to figure out if he managed to hit his head while I wasn't looking.

He gives my shoulder a light squeeze before leaving, smiling at Steve his whole way out of my room.