Chapter Thirty-Two - Sneaky Sneaks

So far, all of the gaps in the archived files are when I was left alone – I guess Hydra has no reason to keep footage of me just crying or passing out. All I've had to watch are the few minutes before and after each gap, but it's more than enough for me. Each clip is more difficult to get through than the last. By now, Steve is holding my hand. It's a good thing he's extra durable because otherwise I think I would have fractured a bone or two in his hand. As it is, he doesn't seem to notice other than to rub small circles with his thumb on my hand when I squeeze harder.

The good news is that I haven't cried yet. But now we're on the last clip, so it's essentially the 'sudden death' round. The very last missing piece is when the base was infiltrated. It cuts out with me giving Bill a rather creepy, bloody smirk as he hears that the Avengers have come a calling.

"What exactly happened between this point and when Captain Rogers and Sergeant Barnes found you?"

"Bill pulled a gun. I told him if he killed me he would end up dead in no time, if he left me he would just get beat up. He took the third option of shooting me to slow them down and give himself more time to escape. I knew I couldn't afford to bleed too much more and that the bullet had caused my lung to be at least partially perforated so I did what I could to slow my heartbeat and keep my breathing slow and regular." It sounds kinda hardcore, saying it out loud. 'Yeah, I was shot. No biggie.' "Then, bang, there they were."

Fury nods. "As we don't have any records of your egress, would you be so kind as to give your perspective on what happened?"

I'm not sure why, but I'm getting major 'stalling' vibes from him. I mean, he has like, six other trusted sources who didn't pass out. Wouldn't he consider them to be more reliable?

Also, 'egress'? Fancy.

"Well, I had my face in Steve's shoulder for most of it."

"And the rest?" the Director presses.

"They had to leave me behind towards the end. Agents Romanoff and Barton showed up. Clint joined the boys and Natasha stayed to make sure I didn't bleed to death. She fought some people and I passed out."

I'm very 'big picture' today.

"That's everything?" he asks naturally.

I pause before nodding. "Yes." I can feel Steve's gaze. Nat must've told him why the knife was no longer in my leg when he got back, but he doesn't say anything.

Fury's eye glints and I know he knows I'm not telling him everything. "All right, well it looks like we're done here."

What?

He stands and Steve follows his lead. "I'll walk with you to the elevator. I have another meeting I need to get to."

Sure. Great. Why not? You're not intimidating at all nor do I harbor any suspicions concerning your motives for having me come all the way out here. This'll be a delightful jaunt.

We only make it down the first two halls before we're stopped by Kate.

"Captain."

"Agent Gibson." Steve's hand slides from the grip of the wheelchair to my shoulder. Does he think he's stopping me from springing up to smack her? The warm weight of his hand feels quite nice in the cold hallway though, so I don't shrug it off.

Seeming to realize that there are other people here besides Steve, she greets Fury and gives me a smile and a nod. I return a tight, half smile that probably makes me look rabid. It's all right though; she isn't looking at me anyway.