Chapter 12 - Indentical

🙂🙃🙂🙃Also please check out my Instagram @ kattheabnegation !!🙂🙃🙂🙃

Chapter 12 - Identical

Caleb

The sight is horrendous.

Cara clutches my hand tightly as I stroke back her sweaty, blonde hair.

She's been pushing for two hours, and then before that she was in labor for nine hours. She doesn't have much of her energy left because of half of the labor time being spent in the back of the bouncy truck escaping.

"Push through the contraction, Cara! She's almost here, just a few more!"

"That's what you said a few more ago!" She sobs, throwing her head back into the bed and taking a deep breath.

"You can do it, sweetheart, she's almost here. Just a few more, that's it. You're so strong, you can do it." I whisper encouragingly in her ear, continuing to stroke her hair again.

She turns and looks me in the eye. "It hurts." Tears fall from her eyes and I wipe them with my other arm; the one she isn't cutting the circulation to.

"It'll be worth it, don't you think?" I smile at her.

"I can't. I'm too tired." She sighs as I continue to wipe her tears as they fall.

"Okay, Cara. Next contraction, give it all you've got, then she will be here."

"Caleb, I don't think I'm ready." Her eyes meet mine, her fear, pain filled beautiful green eyes meet my, not as green eyes.

"Our daughter is bound to have the most beautiful green eyes, just like her mother." I smile, stroking her cheek one last time, then taking her other hand in my other hand, now holding both her hands.

She smiles back for a second, but then her face converts back to pain and fear.

"Come on Cara! Give it all you have! She's almost here!" The doctor calls.

It all goes by so fast after that.

Cara's screams, then, my daughter's shrill cry that fills the room.

I can't help but cry out of happiness.

I look down at my exhausted wife who looks like she could fall asleep this second. Through the pain leaving her face, I see her smile.

Her beautiful smile that had disappeared for a while once in that building.

The doctor and nurse ran off with my daughter to the other side of the room to clean her and other things, but I still hear her cries. I press my lips to Cara's for a quick second and then pull away.

"I'm so proud of you." I hold her in an embrace. She lets her head rest on my shoulder, and I can tell that she closes her eyes.

"It's okay. It's over now." I murmur in her ear, stroking her hair and rubbing her back.

It takes a while for them to let us see her. They said they wanted to run extra tests to make sure she wasn't harmed in any way while being in the building.

There's a soft knock on the door, followed my a nurse walking in the room holding a little bundle of pink in her arms.

My daughter.

She hands her over to Cara, and I can't control the tears coming from my eyes when I see my wife hold my daughter for the first time. She gently moves the blanket away from her face, and I see from the looks of her, her heart internally breaks.