Chapter Forty-Four

"Enervate."

Harry's eye popped open and he began trying to grab purchase to stop his fall. He had to help Hermione and Ron!

"Harry! Harry, it's alright," an urgent voice whispered.

"You're safe, mate. You're in the infirmary," another whisper said.

Harry's stopped struggling and focused his eye on the stone ceiling above him. Then a bit of bushy hair and concerned eyes came into his view.

"Hermione?" Harry croaked.

"Shhh." Hermione put her finger to her lip in a shushing motion and looked away as if listening for something.

"It's okay," Ron murmured. Harry turned his head just a bit and saw his friend sitting on the edge of his bed.

"You guys alright?" Then a terrifying thought struck him. "Where's Draco?"

"It's okay, Harry. He's out of commission for a while longer," Hermione assured, patting his shoulder in comfort. "Nevertheless, he is lying not far away and a few of the faculty are right outside so we have to be quiet." But Harry was confused.

"Out of commission?" he asked in a whisper.

"Hermione hit him with a wicked stupefy," Ron explained.

"Oh," Harry relaxed. Then he tensed again in horror. "No, Hermione! You'll go to Azkaban! We have to get you out of here!" Harry started to sit up. Hermione helped him up but then held him in place. Harry's arm hurt and he had a headache. His left leg also throbbed. But he was bound and determined to save his friend.

"It doesn't matter, Harry. I did what I did and there is nothing more for it. Besides, I'd do it again in a heartbeat. But you're right, we do have to get you somewhere safe." Hermione's face was full of strength. Only a slight red mark showed where Draco had struck her on the cheek.

"I don't understand," Harry said shaking his head. "You guys are the ones that got hurt and Hermione, you got in-between me and Draco. He'll call the Aurors. I know Lucius will!"

"Harry, you were hurt far worse," Hermione said, stroking her hand down his cheek. "He pushed you down a flight of stairs. I couldn't reach you in time." Hermione's voice and posture showed how very much she blamed herself for that. "You had a broken leg, a broken arm, your skull was fractured and you had a severe concussion."

Harry felt each body part she named. He hadn't realized how bad off he had been. If he had cracked his head, he was lucky that he had been so close to the infirmary. Suddenly, his eyes opened in fright and he hesitatingly brought his hands to his abdomen. He couldn't ask. He just couldn't. He couldn't hear the words. His mouth trembled and his eyes beseeched Hermione to have the right answers again.

Hermione gave him a smile and cupped his cheek.

"It's alright, Harry," she whispered softly. "It's still there. Everything is fine."

Harry nearly collapsed in relief. He had only been aware of the new life inside of him for a minute amount of time, but he would have been devastated to have it taken away from him so suddenly.

"But you see, that is why we must get you somewhere protected," Hermione said sternly.

"Protected from what?" Harry asked.

"Harry!" Ron exclaimed, still in a whisper. "Draco chucked you down a flight of stairs! What the hell else do you think you need protecting from?"

"Oh, but he just didn't understand," Harry explained calmly. "He didn't know about, you know, the baby and all and why I was acting that way." His friends stared at him like he was about to get up and try to bite his own ear. "He didn't know about the scarf!" Harry justified desperately.