Chapter Forty-Seven

After that first night with Snape, Harry discovered he was once again a social pariah in the school. Everyone avoided him. He heard the whispers when they did not know he was around the corner. Most of the houses were scared to even go near him seeing him as a direct attachment to the most feared and hated teacher. The Slytherins completely ignored him because they did not know how to deal with him. He had snubbed the Slytherin Prince but was residing with their Head of House. They decided self-preservation dictated they just avoid him altogether. That was the theme the entire school had decided to adopt and Harry was glanced at, whispered about and ignored. And to add insult to injury, he had had to quit Quidditch. What hurt worse was that not one Gryffindor seemed upset at losing their seeker. Apparently freakiness outweighed any sort of talent or skill.

Hermione and Ron did their best to make up for it. They spoke happily and loudly to try to cover the silence. They engaged him in chess and studying and walks about the castle. But Harry could see the strain he was putting on them and so began to pull away.

He rarely saw Draco anymore. During the classes they shared, Draco never once looked at him or spoke about him. Snape made sure there was a complete classroom separating the two young men at all times and Harry's friends made sure that he never got up to get any ingredients and possibly bump into the blonde. During Care of Magical Creatures Hermione and Ron, again, ran interference and always made sure to stake out an area far removed from the others. Harry couldn't help but watch Draco for any signs that the blonde wanted to talk to him or even argue with him. He was honest enough with himself that he realized that he missed Draco. Maybe it was the hormones or something, but he was hurt that Draco seemed to not be affected at all from no longer having any contact with Harry. Of not being a part of each other's lives anymore.

Harry had also quickly learned how very much he was not wanted in Snape's life either when he came in from studying alone in the library a few minutes before curfew and saw a lady sitting with the Professor on his sofa.

She was a pretty woman with sable brown hair and deep blue eyes. She was curvy and had a ready smile on her lips when Harry shut the door and stared at the intimate scene. Suddenly, another movement caught Harry's eye and he saw another person was also in the room. A dirty-blond haired man, with a slight build and overt languid grace had just risen from where he had been lounging against the wall. The man set his wine glass down and sauntered forward until he was leaning against the back of the sofa.

"Oh, you must be Harry Potter," the woman said in a smooth chocolaty voice. She gracefully rose and held out her hand. Harry took it and smiled uncertainly. The lady raised an eyebrow over her shoulder at Snape.

"Well, Severus? Do try to be at least a bit civil and introduce us," she said reprovingly.

Snape sighed and without looking up from his glass or rising from the sofa he spoke. "Lydia, this is Potter. Potter, this is Lydia." A slight cough was heard. "And Logan, of course. There. Done. Go away, Potter."

Logan chuckled and Lydia tsked under her breath but turned and smiled at Harry in a knowing way. "It can be said that Severus Snape does not mince words, hmm?" She patted Harry's hand and then let it go. "I knew your mother, Harry. I can call you Harry, can't I?"

"Yes, ma'am."

"Oh no, do call me Lydia. As I was saying, I knew your mother. A very sweet lady with quite a head on her shoulders. She was a few years ahead of me here at Hogwarts but was very sweet and I have always remembered her fondly. But I do hope that what Severus says is untrue. I do hope you do not take after your father. He had quite the nasty sense of humor and his cohorts were no better." She leaned in and whispered in Harry's ear. "Although I must say that I did have quite a crush on the quiet one. I do so love the tall and silent types," she said with a smirk and glance towards Snape.