Chapter Fourteen

"What happens now, when everything is said and done?" ~Even If I Love You Still, by Jay Jimenez and Marri Nallos

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

"I'm leaving tomorrow. Just letting you know."

"Babe, do you really have to go?"

Vesper let out a heavy sigh. "Yes."

"Okay. Take care of yourself, Ves. Come back to me in one piece, alright? And come back without a single scratch. Understand?" Margo said in a stern voice.

And despite all the emotions she's feeling right now, a small smile appeared on Vesper's lips. "I will. Thanks, Go. You take care too, huh?"

"Will do. But will you ever tell me why the sudden vacation?" Margo asked for the nth time about what the real reason behind Vesper's untimely vacation was.

The lie easily rolled off Vesper's tongue. "Margo, I already told you I just saw a promo and I decided to go for it."

"Can you hear that?"

"Hear what?" Vesper pressed her ear closer to her phone.

"Hear my bullsh!t detector going off. I call bull, Vesper Nichols. I ain't your best friend for nothing. There's something you're not telling me." Margo huffed. "Do you not trust me?"

"Go, I trust you. You're my best friend. And you're right, there's something I'm not telling you. But can I just tell it to you when I'm ready?"

"Okay, Vesper. Take your time," Margo said softly. "And will you charm a dapper fellow for me there and then bring him home to me? I prefer brunettes, just so you know. Must be tall, not necessarily dark, handsome, and smart too. You don't want your godchildren to be dummies, no?"

Vesper chuckled. She knew that her friend was just trying to cheer her up. "You tramp. I'll take care of myself. Good night." She cut off the call. She looked at her luggage and squeezed her eyes shut, letting out a heavy sigh.

It has been a hard week for her. Andray hasn't called her or even left a message since the confrontation that happened between them. When she's alone, she always pushed back the tears that threatened to spill, saying to herself that the cry she had in her car was the last one. Every day at work she tried her damnedest best to keep her act together while every night she tried to push the thoughts of him out of her head to get some sleep. Like a robot, she made her way through work in autopilot mode. Her colleagues noticed her gloomy behavior, especially Margo.

Friday had been the last straw for her. She was alone in the office restrooms and tears suddenly burst from her eyes like a dam; she herself was surprised at the sudden burst of emotions. And at the damn office restroom, of all places, she thought that time. She locked herself in a cubicle and cried silently for a few minutes before fixing herself up and calmly walking to Cindy's office.

Inside Cindy's office, Vesper asked for a one-week break from work. Since she has a good record in the office and all of her articles were already finished, Cindy agreed to let her have a break.

"Don't think I haven't noticed your dull behaviour these past few days, Vesper," Cindy said after Vesper expressed her thanks.

"Uhm," Vesper mumbled. "It's kind of personal."

"Sure. But let me guess—it's about a man?" Cindy questioned with a raised eyebrow.

Where is she getting with this? Vesper thought. "A bit."