Chapter Sixteen [Part 1]

"Too far away to feel you, but I can't forget your skin. Wonder what you're up to, what state of mind you're in. Are you thinking 'bout the last time your lips all over me? 'Cause I'd play it and I'd rewind,  where you are I wanna be. Wanna fly to you like birds do, straight across the world. My body, your hands, ooh, and I'm missing every word...

And that's when I run all of these thousand miles to get you back. Coming for you babe, I'm coming now. That's when I run all of these thousand miles to get you back." ~Thousand Miles, by Tove Lo

CHAPTER SIXTEEN [Part 1]

"Exquisite," Vesper mumbled to herself as she scrutinized the Picasso painting in front of her.

"It looks kind of weird, mom," a little voice said. She turned and saw a young boy with his mother, staring at the painting. She smiled at the young boy who was looking at her now, and the boy smiled back, a little blush creeping on his chubby cheeks. Walking around, she continued to admire the works at the Art Institute of Chicago.

She went to the Institute early for she was keen on spending her day admiring the works of various brilliant artists. Looking at the artworks helped her relieve the heavy feelings she has for the only thing she could feel as she studied every piece was admiration for the creator and some of her personal interpretations about the artwork. It's also nice to share views and sentiments with other people as she exchanged her opinions with them. She has struck a few conversations here and there with some of the fellow tourists. It was already afternoon when she finally got her fill of the artworks and she decided to leave the Institute.

She went to a nearby café to have a snack. It was her fourth day in Chicago, and so far, her impromptu vacation was going well for she was able to tour around many places even if she hasn't really planned this trip. Tomorrow, she decided that she'll visit the 360˚ Chicago Observatory. 

Vesper was sipping on her coffee when she felt like someone was staring at her. She glanced around and saw no one. She shrugged, and thought that maybe she's just tired. She continued to eat her blueberry cheesecake and ignored the eerie feeling. When she finished eating, she went out and continued strolling around.

She took a few pictures here and there as she walked. As she snapped a photo of a beautiful building, she felt the hairs at the back of her neck stood up and the feeling that someone was staring at her came again. She warily glanced around and scrutinized the surroundings, and just like before, she saw nothing suspicious. She just walked faster. She turned on a corner and when she glanced back, she saw a blue car that she's certain she saw earlier. Spooked, she walked faster and she saw that the car was also moving.

"My God," she muttered to herself and turned on another corner. She was sure that she's going to be lost but that's better than being kidnapped and cut into little pieces. She walked faster without glancing back, intent on putting as much distance as possible between her and the creepy blue car. She turned on a corner again and she realized that she emerged on the same street she was walking on earlier. For good measure, she turned on another narrow corner again. She peeked back and saw that no one was following her and the car was not behind her. She closed her eyes and breathed a sigh of relief, wiping away the sweat on her forehead.

Maybe I was just being paranoid.

She opened her eyes and saw the same blue car a few feet away from her. She was about to run when she felt a hand clamp over her mouth and nose. She gasped and tried to scream, but a handkerchief was muffling her voice.

Oh fvck me, she thought when she felt herself getting dizzy. This is what happens in those horror movies I'm so fond of watching. Weakly, she still tried to get out of the person's grasp. She was writhing, kicking, and flailing around, and she moved with all the strength she got, but it was futile. Then, she dug her fingernails into the arm around her but she felt her grip loosen as she felt her consciousness slipping away. She can still hear gruff voices speaking but they felt like they were a million miles away. Oh, God, was her last thought as the chemical worked on her and her eyelids closed.