Chapter Seven

January 4th, 2020

1500 hours Eastern

Point Breeze, Philadelphia

John sighs as he enter his apartment, "of course they screw up my haircut." He touches his freshly trimmed down hair. "Fucking shorter than how I wanted it". He tosses his keys into a small bowl on a wooden table next to the door then bends down to grab the mail scattered all around the first few feet of his home.

"I need a beer."

He shuts and locks his front door and walks into the kitchen. He opens up the white partially rusted fridge door and looks inside.

"Empty except beer and two week old pizza."

He grabs a beer before closing the door with his foot. He walks over to the living room, tosses the mail on the dining room table, and then sits on the stained, torn up couch. Opening the can proved to be more disastrous than anticipated. He pulls the tab and then gets sprayed in the face with what feels like a geyser of foam.

"God fucking dammit!" he shouts as he slams down the can on the side table. He gets up and walks to the bathroom and wipes his face with a clean towel hung neatly near the shower.

"Stupid fucking...," he groans as he throws down the towel and walks to the bedroom. He takes off his stained and wet t-shirt and drops it on the floor. He looks up at the mirror positioned against the wall. He touches the small scars across his chest and thinks about the brawls he was in causing them.

"All because of a woman," he chuckles. He walks over to the large black dresser and pulls out a faded t-shirt with his old units insignia and slogan, and he slips it on.

"Dropping down from the sky faster than hungry vultures," he says looking down at the front of the shirt. "Such a stupid thing to put on a shirt."

He leaves the room and hears scratching coming from the guest room. "Is that where you are?" he ponders, opening the door. Suddenly, he's tackled to the ground as a large german shepard leaps at him and begins to lick his face.

"S-s-SARAH!" he laughs as he pets the dog.

"Calm down, girl. I'm home." The dog whimpers and continues to lick before stepping back as John sits up.

"Why did Gina put you in the room before she left?" he wonders. He rubs her head and gets up.

"Were you being bad?" he asks, looking down into her big dark brown eyes. "No there's no way you could be bad."

He walks into the room and notices a note on the end table next to the guest bed with considerable amounts of fur shed all over the comforter.

"..yea I expected as much from your hairy butt," he chuckles. Sarah rubs up against his left leg, almost tripping him. He picks up the note and reads it:

Sorry, had to put her in here because she was tearing up the couch more during the last thunderstorm. I checked on her before I left last night. Call me if you wanna chew me out. - Gina.

He chuckles softly and bends down to kiss Sarah's head.

"Sorry about that, hun. It's my fault. I should have refilled your pills before I left." She licks his cheek rapidly and rubs up against him more. "Such a cutie."

He gets up and walks out of the room. "C'mon, silly. You must be hungry." Sarah follows right behind him then runs quickly into the kitchen towards her food bowl.

"HALT!" he shouts. Sarah quickly sits down and looks forward upon the command. He grabs the big bag of dog food and fills her bowl up. "Clear!" Sarah then relaxes and begins to eat.