Chapter 2 - Getting ready

On Tuesday I find myself staring at Daniel’s details in our contact book.  His wood has arrived and I’m supposed to phone him to let him know, but I’ve picked up the phone three times already to phone him, without success.  Seriously Lil!  Are you a man or a mouse?  Well, technically it should be WOman or mouse, I know.  I take a deep breath and dial his number, determined to do my job.

 “Hallo?” I hear his voice over the line.

 “Uhum, hallo Daniel?  This is Lilly… from the hardware store?”

 I hear his soft laugh and it tingles through me.  “Yes, I remember.”

 “I’m calling to let you know that the wood you ordered has arrived.”

 “That’s great!  I’ll pick it up on Thursday, since you guys will probably be closed for the olive festival this weekend anyway.”  He sounds like an exited child at the mention of the annual event held in the main road of the town. 

 This festival seems quite a deal for the people of this small town and has a real country feel to it.  It’s a main tourist attraction every year and they go all out.  I’m kind of exited to experience it with all the planning that’s been going on in town.

 “I’ll tell Sam you said that.  We’ll see you on Thursday.”

 “And probably on Friday as well.”

 “Friday?”

 “Yes, at the wood chopping contest.  You guys host it?  I’m taking part.  I take part every year,” his voice suddenly sounds kind of shy on the phone, “but since you’re new you wouldn’t know that.”  I suddenly remember my boss, Mr Greene, mentioning the contest at our staff meeting yesterday.  I’m doing duty on the points board, since I can count – his joke, not mine.

 “Oh yes.  Probably.  Well, good-bye then, see you Thursday… for the wood.”

 “Bye, Lilly”

 I put the phone down, shaking a little bit.  What the heck is going on with me?  I walk to the back to tell Sam what Daniel said, determined to ignore the butterflies in my stomach.

 I find Mr Green sitting at his desk, staring at some invoices from our suppliers. 

 “Ah, Lilly dear!  You came as if summoned!”  He smiles his warm smile at me before handing me the objects of his irritation.  “These things don’t make sense!  I don’t like these computerised invoices…  the language and terms they use on them is not what I’m used to.  Can you figure it out?  I want to pay these ones.” 

 I look at the papers in my hand before nodding my head.  O goody.  Something to take my mind of Daniel.

Half an hour and some detailed notes later, Mr Green is happily walking out of the store for lunch after paying the offending invoices.  He really is a sweet man and I like working for him.  Sam calls me to the front again as we have a busy lunch-run this week, everyone eager to finish off outstanding business in time for the festival.

 Wednesday left us running around to get ready for our wood chopping event.  Mr Green sent me to collect our promotional material from the printer in the next town using the business’ little Kia Picanto.  Of course I jumped at the chance of driving that little car through such beautiful scenery.

 Sam collected the wood and axes and everything else needed for our event.  Together we rushed it all to the town’s Main Hall, to get it to the organizers in time.  Mr Green tended the cash registers, something he still loves doing since the first day he opened his business.  He can tell you exactly in which section of which isle something is to be found, too, but show him to work a computer and he’s screaming profanities at the screen within the first ten minutes.  Since Mr Green is a generally nice mannered man, we tend to keep him away from the computers!

 By Thursday I’m so swamped with last minute orders and banking, that I miss Daniel coming to the store to collect his wood.  Bummer. 

 Luckily I don’t have time to dwell on the disappointment too much, as I was being swept away to lunch by my new friend Faith, whose dad owns the little coffee shop next door to us.  Faith studied to be a pastry chef in Cape Town and came back to take over from her dad, because he is struggling with his health.  Until she learns the ropes though, she’s working on improving the menu, just in time for the tourist rush.  The things that girl can do with pastry, is positively sinful!

 “And?” she pests me after the first bite into her new creation.  “What do you think?”

 “Hphny”, I mumble through mouthfuls of the still slightly hot, sugary pastry.

 “What the heck did you just say?” she laughs at me.

 I finish chewing so I can answer her.  “Heavenly”, I sigh.  “You should definitely put this on the menu.”

 “Great,” she says, making notes in her little book of self-developed recipes that I’ve always seen her writing in.  According to Faith she is constantly inspired to try new ideas, so she needs to write it down before she forgets.  Hence the little book.  I have a suspicion she locks it in a safe at night.  I would.  I take another bite of the pastry in my hand.

 “So, you excited about the festival?”, she asks when finished writing.

 I swallow the bite I was chewing.  “Yes, I am actually.  Everyone keeps telling me how much fun it is.”

 Faith grins knowlingly.  “Yeah, lots of fun, considering all the out-of-town guys who will be around to make a girls day just that little bit brighter!” 

 “That good, huh?” I smile at her while liking my fingers from the gooey sweetness still left on it.

 “Let’s just say, it’s the highlight of many a single girl in this area… and we fight tooth and nail to keep what we catch.”

“Oh, Faith, you scare me,” I laugh at her comment.  “Luckily, I’m not interested in your ‘catches’ this weekend.  I’m here to work, not play around.  Thanks for lunch!”  I get up to leave, but Faith catches my arm.

 “Ok, hold your horses.  No single, heterosexual female, old or young, would say ‘no’ to such a hunk-fest… which leads me to believe you are either gay…”

 I shake my head, smiling.

 “or taken…”

 “Nope”

 “or have your eye on someone already here.”  She starts clapping her hands and jumps up and down, exited like a little child.

 “Shhh Faith,” I blush and grab her arm to make her sit down.  “Everyone is looking at us!”

 “Tell me, tell me, tell me!  Who is he?”

 I shrug.  “Just a customer who comes into the store every week.  I doubt he even knows I exist.”

 “How could he not know!  You’re such a pretty girl, Lilly!  And you’re nice too.  Any guy would be lucky to capture your heart.”

 I giggle.  “I have to see if he notices me first!  He’s taking part in our wood-chopping contest this weekend.”

 A light goes on in Faith’s mind.  “”It’s not Daniel, is it?”

 I smile and nod.

 “Heck, sister, you just had to fall for the one guy all the mommies are after for their beloved daughters!  Well, I’m betting on you, my friend.”

 “Thanks Faith, but at the moment there’s not much to bet on.  I doubt if handing him his change every week counts as the start of a serious relationship.  He did say he’s see me at the contest, though.”

 Faith’s eyes go big.  “He did?  Well, that’s practically a declaration of interest right there!  That boy usually stays as far away from us girls as he can, unless he’s interested in someone.”

 I smile at the thought and hope to heaven Faith is right. 

 “Oh, wouldn’t that be romantic,” Faith sighs while holding her hand to her heart.  “You coming from the city to work here, only to find your prince charming in our quaint little town!  Now, you’ve still got about 10 minutes left on your break.  Let’s talk wardrobe for the barn dance on Saturday!”