Chapter 8- Secrets Among Us

The trial was held early enough that Monokuma opened up another island to us the same day, but no one felt like exploring. I stayed at the execution site for what seemed hours. Monokuma didn't once harass me about leaving, which surprised me. Maybe it was because it wasn't just me mourning them. Selene hasn't left my neck since she returned from putting a flower on Angelina's preserved body. Her baby Komodo dragons haven't moved from me much either.

I guess it has been awhile since Reokyu had to come get me. I'm surprised he's the one who came up here. It's still a shock to me that he is blind. It's honestly really hard to tell he even is blind. His only "giveaway" is him always looking to the ceiling or the floor. He put his hand on me, staring off into blank space. "I can feel a great amount of stress on you."

Selene didn't even attempt to attack. I think she now has a bit of trust within everyone left here. I kept staring at Angelina and Karkhov. "Neither of them deserved what happened to them. Monokuma knew what the virus would do to Angelina. He practically walked both of them into their deaths."

He sat down next to me. The baby dragons crawled on top of both of us. "We can't control what the evil in this world does. I agree that Angelina and Karkhov didn't deserve their fates. You know, Karkhov was hiding something from us all, including Angelina. I overheard him talking to Kyojuro one day about it."

Karkhov talked to Kyojuro? "What do you mean? Like a plan to murder someone or ...?"

Reokyu shook his head and smiled. "Karkhov loved Angelina more than anything. He was willing to do whatever it meant to protect her; including sacrificing his own life if that meant she would be safe. Back in the past, he had a love named Misha. Apparently, Angelina was almost a splitting image of her, just a different personality and way of life. Misha was killed during an outbreak in the Gulag he worked in and he sorta lost his will to go one. He became cold and bitter, pushing everyone from his life and not caring about anyone's life but his own, henceforth, why he didn't care if he killed someone early one when we got here. But then he went on to Kyojuro about how she saw past his dark self. He said that when Angelina first got onto him, he heard Misha's voice. It was like she returned to him. Angelina and Karkhov fell in love because they both saw something in each other that they held dear, and their love swore to protect each other. Even in their last moments together, neither of them gave up on each other. Angelina tried to live as long as she could to tell him she loved him, that way she could die knowing that he knew. Karkhov didn't want to leave her side, even in death, that's why they are like they are now. The way they are preserved shows you that Karkhov will love her even through death. Shane, even through all of this death and sorrow, love still overpowers the despair. You care and love so many people on this island, if not them all, and that's why you strive to release us from this evil. Monokuma is scared of that hope getting to everyone. Shane, as long as you continue to care for us, none of our friends have died in vein. They are still here with you and I truly believe that we will all leave here soon. Now come on back to the hotel, everyone is worried about you. Besides, we need to figure out what to do with Angelina's children."

And like that, I left the execution site. Back at the hotel, everyone was in the dining hall, an assortment of food lined on the table. Everyone's face was struck with remorse. The dragons jumped off my shoulders and onto the table, not leaving more than a few inches away from me. Bee looked at me. "Shane, are you ok?"

It was like being on trial. Everyone seemed to be waiting for an answer from me. "Just a little shaken up. I will be ok."

There was almost a slight sigh of relief from them. Teiko looked at Selene. "What are we going to do with them?"