Chapter 10- Lost Hope

I couldn't move. Nothing was holding me back but myself. Why did she betray him like this? Why did she betray us like this?!  Everybody was just in utter awe. Coraline, the one who cared so much about our well being, was capable of such horror? Over and over I heard Reokyu's final words run through my head. "Shane will protect you now"

Why me? Honestly, why do I have to be this great hope? I'm an Enoshima, doomed to be seen as the evil in the world, yet here...I'm seen as the best protector. But why? I couldn't protect anyone. I couldn't protect Komaeda...I couldn't protect Karkhov...I couldn't protect Reokyu...

Yet, they still have all this faith in me. 

Looking down at the blood stained on my shoes I started to wonder. Is Shannon even alive? What is happening there if this is happening here?  Why were we seperated?!

All of a sudden, Bee came behind me, putting her hand on my shoulder. "We need to go." 

I didn't feel like I was following, since I kept my eyes on Reokyu's corpse as it slowly faded from my vision. I suddenly felt angered. "We are going to speak to Coraline!" 

I started running, faster than I ever had before. I needed to know why she did that. I needed to know how she could smile as she brought down the one person that loved her more than his own life. I figured she would be hiding in her room, so I quickly made it over there. I knocked on her door; no response. Again, I knocked, calling out for her. Milono was behind me now. I put my hand on her doorknob and tried to turn it, but something was blocking the door. She had to be in there if it was blocked. I started slamming my body into the door, trying to get it open. Milono joined in after my first failed attempt and we slammed through the door, knocking over the large dresser that had jammed against it. The first thing I saw was Kyojuro as Monomi, bound and gagged as usual. But right above him, laying on the bed was Coraline, in the same exact position he was in. She was conscious now, because I could hear her try to say something through the cloth between her teeth. I rushed over to her and removed her gag. "Thank you Shane. Monokuma did this. I've been here ever since the Body Discovery Announcement played. Monomi was brought here too." 

Milono was already untying Kyojuro, who was again pissed. I was working on the rope around Coraline's wrists, which were done extremely well and extremely tight. "I never got to find out who was murdered. I'm assuming the trial is over, since it has been hours since I was stuck here. But why did Monokuma keep me from the trial and even the investigation time? Shane, who was murdered?"

I answered as I continued working. "Seh. Seh was murdered during a blackout." 

I finally got the bonds around her wrists undone. I felt something large in my stomach. I don't want to tell her who murdered Seh. I started untying the bonds around her ankles. She looked at me. "Where is Reokyu? Who murdered Seh?" 

Milono looked at me and for the first time, she looked concerned. Coraline grew impatient. "Shane, where is Reokyu? It's a simple question." 

I finished and grabbed her hands gently, looking at her. I was trying desperately not to cry, but I almost couldn't hold it. Her face grew pale. "Reokyu murdered Seh...He slit his neck during a blackout...He confessed at the trial and even apologized. He did it to protect us." 

She looked at me, stunned, almost as if she didn't believe what I was saying. "Monokuma made you kill him in the execution. Beforehand, all he wanted to do was see you one last time. That's all he asked for. Monokuma made him and all of us believe that you executed Reokyu. But even as he was being killed, he said he couldn't fight you. He said he forgives you, but it wasn't you. Monokuma somehow must have known that Reokyu could sense auras, because he wouldn't have approached whatever was portraying you if it didn't have your aura...Coraline I'm so sorry..."