Chapter 14

Elena and Brian's attire above

-------

Chapter 14

Last night I agreed to go to a business dinner with Brian tomorrow. He scheduled me a fitting at one of the nicest dress boutiques in the area. After four dreadful hours I found one that I actually liked. The dress would be sent to Brian's house tomorrow. I picked Kade up from Mrs. Smith's and he was currently in the game room playing any game he could get his hands on. He was very excited to stay with Mrs. Smith next week. I'm not going to lie. I am going to miss him terribly. We have never been away for this long. I know he is in good hands and that eases my anxiety a little.

Tomorrow will be interesting.

-------

"Lena," I was awoke by the tiny hands of my brother.

"Yes Kade," I said sleepily

"Mrs. Smith."

I stand up and get ready to take him to his favorite place. Once he is dropped off I have two hours to get ready before Brian will be here.

-------

"Lena," I hear outside my bathroom, "are you almost ready?"

"Yeah," I say opening the door.

"Wow. You look beautiful," Brian says after a few seconds of staring.

I slightly blush, "you don't look too bad yourself."

"Tonight I'm going to introduce you as my fiancé."

"Uh.. Okay. How should I act?"

"Just be yourself," Brian said smiling down at me.

He opened the door to the car for me. I got in and he walked over to the drivers seat.

"Are you ready, Lena?"

"As ready as I will ever be."

------

Once we arrive at the restaurant, I tell Brian I need to freshen up. He lets go of my hand and I walk to the bathroom.

Why am I so nervous? This won't be that bad. Calm down.

I walk back out of the bathroom and see Brian speaking with an older man.

"There she is. Lena, this is Mr. Paul Winters. Mr. Winters, this is my fiancé," Brian says smiling at me.

That when it hits. I suddenly can't breathe. The resemblance is something that is very obvious to me.

"Lena, are you okay?" Brian asks me tenderly.

"Um. I need a moment. Excuse me."

I quickly find the closest exit and lean on the railing trying to catch my breath. I've never met that man before but I know exactly who he is. That man is my grandfather.

"Elena, are you okay? What's wrong?" Brian says rushing to my side.

"Don't make me go back in there. Please," I say catching my breath.

"Okay. You don't have to. Excuse me for just a second so I can tell them we have to leave."

"No, Brian. You can stay. I just-"

"No. I'm going with you. Stay right here," Brian says walking back into the restaurant.

After all these years I have the chance to meet him. He is right there in front of me but I can't just can't bring myself to see him. Does he know I exist? Does he know about Kade? Does he know dad died?

Brian is suddenly by my side breaking me away from my thoughts.

"Come on. Let's go," Brian says putting his sports coat over my shivering frame. He wraps his arms around my shoulders and leads me to the car. Once we get in we sit there for a second in silence.

"It's him," I whisper softly.

"It's who, Lena?"

"I thought I could talk to him when and if I ever seen him. I'm so sorry Brian. Did I ruin part of your merger?" I asked staring at the floor.

"Hey," Brian said putting his finger under my chin making me look at him, "I don't care about that. I care about you. Are you okay?"

"He looks just like my dad," I whispered.

Brian's face went from puzzlement to realization.

"Lena, I had no idea. If I would had known I wouldn't had brought you. I'm so sorry."

I had nothing to say. What was there to say? Brian started the car and started driving. We eventually pulled into the driveway. Once he parked the car neither one of us moved.

"I'm such an idiot. I should've put the pieces together. You both have the same last name. I've seen pictures of your dad. I should have.... I don't even know. I'm so stupid. I'm so sorry Elena."

I got out of the car and began walking. I eventually made it to my room and laid down on the bed. I did the only thing I know how to do anymore. I cried.

There was a gentle tap on my door. Brian slowly walked over to the bed and took me into his arms. All I needed right now was to be held.

"I'm not angry at you," I whispered after a few minutes.

"That's the last thing I want."

"I never thought I would see him. He probably doesn't even know I exist."

"If he doesn't he is missing out on an amazing woman," Brian said looking into my eyes.

"Will you just hold me for a little while?" I asked wiping away the tears from my eyes.

"I would not want anything more."

And that is how I fell asleep. Brian held me in his arms and, for the first time since the passing of my dad, I slept peacefully.

------

Authors note

Hello readers! Elena finally meets her grandfather. Well kinda. Things seem to be picking up with Brian and Elena. I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Casting
Elena Winters- Anna Kendrick
Brian Matthews- Dave Franco
Carly Matthews- to be mentioned

-J