Chapter Two

"Never thought I'd see you again," Sonny muttered, looking down at his hands. Mostly everyone had gone off home and it was just us two left. He had that look on his face like he was trying to figure out something, maybe why Eliza had come back after everything that happened. He still looked the same. Same greasy hair, same kind blue eyes; the only thing that changed was his classic smile. The smile that made her feel at home was no longer there.

"Ditto," Eliza smiled slightly, trying to break the ice. "Look, I'm sorry about-"

"There's no need to apologize," He interrupted, waving her off, "You were given the opportunity for a higher position with higher pay. I wouldn't blame you for taking it. It's just...you should've told me."

"I know and I wanted to but," she trailed off, knowing there was no good excuse for not telling him. She thought maybe her not saying goodbye would be good for him. It was the best way for him to let her go. But coming back, having to see him again, made all the guilt finally hit her right in the chest.

"It's just- what kind of girlfriend packs up, leaves their home in the middle of the day, and hops on a plane to another state without telling her boyfriend?" Sonny's voice rose, aggravation dripping with every word. "I had to find out from Olivia! Do you know how pathetic that sounds? That my girlfriend just left me without even a goodbye or a note or something?!?"

Eliza looked down to the floor, unable to form any words. She tried to fight the feeling of her eyes welling up and the lump in her throat. "I know."

"No, I don't think you know. You don't know anything Eliza because you don't realize how your actions affect other people, especially those who love you most." He didn't expectto blow out so easily, but all the anger he had been holding in finally flood out in tidal waves. "And now you're here, waltzing back into my life like everything's okay. Well you know what? Everything's not okay. So from now on, we're keeping whatever this is professional. Unless it's about the case, don't talk to me."

"Okay Sonny," Eliza responded, trying to hold back tears.

"You lost the right to call me Sonny. It's Detective Carisi," he glared at Eliza before walking out the room, leaving her alone with her thoughts.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"We figured out who the license plate is owned by," Fin dropped a file onto the table, "But it's no one who owns a Honda Odyssey."

"So this guy switched plates?" Eliza asked, looking down at the open file. Fin nodded grimly.

"Well that's great. How the hell do we find out who this guy is?" Jay questioned.

Olivia shrugged, "We could find out where that other plate was issued but this guy's smart so I'm assuming he hijacked the van."

"So we're back to square one," Sonny muttered bitterly.

"Not really. We already know the car description and license plate, although it was switched, so we can just check street cameras," Eliza suggested.

"That's gonna take a while," Amanda said.

"Well it's not like we have any other choice. Guess we're pulling an all-nighter if that's okay with all of you?" Olivia asked.

"Yeah sure," Jay shrugged and the others silently agreed as well.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The group of detectives spent the rest of the night searching through almost every city camera, dividing the work amongst one another. Amanda left early, due to a doctor's appointment, Fin had to leave for family business, and Olivia had to leave early to take care of her son.

That left just Jay, Eliza, and Sonny: the most awkward trio. Well, duo to be exact. Jay didn't really have a clue what was going on and seemed to get along with Sonny, whereas Eliza was left shot in the dark. Not literally, of course.

"It's been about five hours now and I've got jack-squat," Jay sighed, rubbing his eyes in exhaustion, "I need a drink."

"So do I," Eliza agreed, "Maybe we should just close up and try again tomorrow."

"I'm fine with that," Jay shrugged then turned to Sonny, "What about you? Are you up for it?"

"I think I'll stay a bit longer. You guys go," Sonny waved off, engrossed in his computer.

"Alright. Don't stay too late. You need your rest," Eliza said, gaining a slight nod from him. Well that was the most she had gotten out of him since their conversation earlier. That's progress.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"So what's Carisi's deal?" Jake asked, gulping the last but of his glass of scotch. "Seems different since the last time we met."

Eliza shrugged, wanting to avoid another serious conversation again. All she did most of the day in that office was wallow in guilt. She knew she hurt him by leaving, but seeing how much that had affected him in person hit even more. She just wanted to drown her sorrows away with alcohol and try to have a good time with her friend. "He's just stressed about the case."

Jay wasn't convinced but decided to brush it off. He shrugged. "Makes sense I guess. What about you? How are you feeling?"

Eliza couldn't help but laugh. She didn't expect a guy, especially not Jay, to want to talk about feelings. The way Erin talked about Jay and just from what Eliza had seen from afar, she didn't expect it. "Don't worry about me, okay? I'm fine," she smiled and turned to the bartender, "Round a shots for me and buddy here. You can add it to my tab."

"No I can't let you do that Eliza. Drinks are on me," Jay offered, already taking out his wallet.

Whether or not it was a good idea, the number of drinks consumed that night racked up and the rest of the night was practically a blur.