Chapter Six

"I'm surprised you didn't squeal," Jarod smiled as he walked in with a box of pizza and two bottles of water. "See how easy this is if you just play along?"

Eliza and Sonny were both silent, practically scowling at him. "What's the matter? Cat got your tongues?" Jarod asked.

"You can't keep us in here forever," Eliza muttered exasperatedly.

"Oh contrary, I can keep you here as long as I want," Jarod approached her, caressing his hand across her cheek, "And I'll make him be witness to it all." He was referring to Sonny and smirked.

"He doesn't need to be a part of this. Like you said, you just planned to take me all along, right? So just let him go," she pleaded.

"I'm not leaving you Eliza," Sonny insisted.

"I think we have our verdict," Jarod clasped his hands together, "Our junior detective shall stay and watch. Because his misery gives me happiness."

"Why do you even care? Why me?" Eliza asked.

"Because I'm fascinated by you, detective Chapman," Jarod answered, "Even in your darkest times, when you've literally had nothing, you still do your job. That's the kind of perseverance I like in a gal."

Sonny couldn't help but burst into laughter at his whole speech. "What's so funny?" Jarod arched a brow.

"The fact that you think she'd like you back. Take a look in the mirror. She's a 10 and you're a 2," Sonny laughed, his head falling back.

Eliza sent him an 'are you crazy?' look, hoping Sonny would shut up before he got killed. "And I don't think kidnapping her is going to change anything," Sonny added.

"You're right. I may not have her the way I want, but it's not like you've done any better Detective Carisi," Jarod scoffed. "You see the difference between you and I is: I take what I want."
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"Lieutenant," Jay rushed into Olivia's office with urgency.

"Yes?" She raised a brow.

"Chapman and Carisi haven't come back from the suspect's home. I tried calling Chapman, but her phone keeps going straight to voicemail," Jay explained frantically, "She always picks up. Something's wrong."

"Calm down Halstead," Olivia slowed him down. "They might still be in the apartment."

"I already checked," he said, "It's like they just disappeared."

Olivia sighed, biting her lip nervously. "There has to be some kind of clue to where they went. We'll have to do a full search. I'll call CSI."
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"I'll go with you," Eliza muttered breathlessly, exhausted by Jarod's games.

"Huh?" Jarod turned his gaze from Sonny to Eliza.

"I'll go with you. Somewhere, anywhere but here. Just let Sonny go," she pleaded, "It's your best shot at surviving because I know for a fact people are looking for us right now."

"Let me ask you something," Jarod crouched down to look her in the eyes, "Why do you care so much about him? You're the one that left him to begin with, am I wrong?"

The fact that Jarod knew so much about her life, even personal details was terrifying. He definitely did his research and presumably an extensive amount of stalking.

Eliza was quiet for a moment, unsure how to answer his question. He was right, she did leave Carisi. But it didn't mean her feelings had changed. A tear rolled down her cheek, which was already damp from still drying tears from before.

"Answer the question!" He shouted, slamming his hands on her arms as he dug his nails into them.

"Ahh okay okay!" She screeched in pain and he loosened his grip. She could here Sonny trying to get out of his restraints again, trying to stop him from hurting her. But even she knew it wasn't going to work. "Because I still love him, okay? Is that what you want to hear?"

Jarod stared at her in confusion, trying to figure out if this was all a rouse or not. "I don't get it. You left him. I doesn't make sense! That's not what's supposed to happen!" Jarod pulled back his hair into fists and abruptly, punched the thick, cement wall. He winced in pain soon after, but turned around so they wouldn't see his face. "You were supposed to forget about him and move on. And then meet me and realize we're perfect together. He can't have you, Elízabeth."

Eliza cringed at the mention of her birth name. Hearing it come out of his mouth wanted to make her throw up. He had no right to act all close to her, he intruded in her life.

"We still can," she lied, deciding it would be best to keep this facade in order to keep Sonny safe. "We can get out of here and I can learn to love some one else." However, in reality, thought of loving someone other than Sonny seemed foreign to Eliza. But if it kept him safe, she had to keep up the lie, even if it meant that she might have to go away with a serial killer.

"You don't mean that," Jarod scoffed.

"I do," she urged.

"Promise?"

"Cross my heart."

"I can't let him go though. He's a witness," Jarod scowled at Sonny, "He can stay here while we leave. Then we'll be free: just you and I."

Eliza forced a smile, though surprised he so easily fell for her trick. This guy Jarod was sick, and needed to be detained.

"I'm so glad you finally came around," Jarod smiled widely with beady eyes, "I knew this was all you needed. I'll go pack."

The detectives watched as their kidnapper walked out of the room and locked the door securely. They listened intently, until they could no longer hear his footsteps.

"I can't let you do this!" Sonny whispered hoarsely.

"Well you don't really have a choice. It's the only way," Eliza whispered back, "Once I get out, I'll find some way to contact the others."

"He'll kill you if he finds out what you're doing."

"What other choice do we have? I couldn't let him keep torturing you," Eliza frowned.

Sonny was silent for a moment, thinking pensively. "What you told him earlier...about you still having feelings for me- was that true?"

Eliza nodded, then averted her gaze as she braced herself for his judgement. The sticky pungent texture of her bloody clothes made the moment much less easy to endure.

"I...I still love you too," Sonny said quietly, gazing in Eliza's direction.

She glanced up with a surprised expression, those words feeling so distant that she hasn't heard it in ages. It made it much more painful knowing that she was about to abandon him once again.

"If you do end up going with him and I get out of here, I'm going to do everything I can to get you back," he assured.

"Thank you Sonny," she smiled slightly, wanting to cry even more.

Sonny stifled a slight chuckle, then sighed, "I miss you calling me that."

Eliza gave him a sympathetic smile that didn't reach her solemn eyes. To her, this was the beginning of the end.