Chapter 12

I press my face against the window, looking out at the passing cars. My parents sit stiffly in the front seat, not speaking to one another, but continually casting glances my way in the rear-view mirror. I refused to say one word to either of them all day today, and they had returned the favour. They’re mad at me, I’m mad at them. There was nothing we needed to say to one another.

I was unwillingly on my way to my first therapist appointment. We had been driving for twenty minutes, so I assumed that we were almost there.

Oh, joy. I thought to myself. I was not looking forward to it at all.  It’s not like therapists have ever had any of the problems that you’re actually going through (especially in my case) but in all the movies I’ve seen with therapists in them, it looks like a pretty stupid place to waste your time, talking about what you see in what blob of ink.

But of course, those are movies, and this is real life, so I’m not exactly sure what to expect. The car comes to a slow stop, turning a corner and entering a parking lot. I look up out the window to see a small, white building with long windows revealing a waiting area and a receptionist desk. The lady behind the desk watches our car as we park. There’s only one other car in the parking lot, so we park right up front. The place seems pretty deserted. I peel my forehead off the window, and as slowly as possible, unbuckle my seatbelt. Let’s get this over with. I thought grimly.

“We’re here.” My mother says in a strained voice. She quickly exits the car, slamming the door behind her, with nervousness or with agitation I don’t know. I hold back my snappy retort. I still don’t want to talk to either of them, even if my words are hurtful. I open my door and step grudgingly into the parking lot. My father follows, the car locks behind us, and we walk, in single file, through the doors and into the building. I drag my feet in the rough pavement, wasting as much time as possible before I have to enter. My parents walk quickly in, obviously impatient to begin.

The waiting room is long and narrow, with beige walls and cushy chairs along the sides. A well-kept desk sits at the front, and a smiling lady sits behind it, beaming at us as we walk in and look around. Simple music plays lightly in the background, from a small speaking in the corner. It’s seriously annoying, and I resist the urge to rip the speaker out of the wall. I don’t think that would help me very much in getting out of the appointments as soon as possible, which, of course, is my goal. My parents walk up nervously to the desk. The woman speaks in a squeaky and ridiculously cheery voice. She sounds like a mouse. I sit down grumpily in one of the chairs, the sunlight from the long windows scorching my neck.

“Hello there! Do you have an appointment?” she smiled kindly at my mother. My mother smiles back, seeming more relaxed, while my father hangs back, looking carefully around.

“Yes, Renlow, for three o’clock?” My mother says, with a half glance in my direction. I avoid her eyes. The lady behind the desk makes several clicks on her computer screen, and then turns back to us, this time, her eyes focus on me. Like with my mother, I avoid her gaze.

“Are you Brooklyn Renlow?” she asks kindly, giving me what I’m sure she thinks is a reassuring smile. I make no response, but merely stare at the floor, wringing my hands in my lap. My mother, sensing the tension building, answers for me.

“Yes, this is our daughter, Brooke.” The receptionist fixes her eyes back on my mother. She smiles again.

“Good! Well, Dr. Rose is available and ready to see you.” She looked at me when she spoke. It felt like my stomach was doing backflips. “You two can wait here in the lobby until the appointment is over.” My parents sit down into the comfortable chairs, looking at me with expectant expressions on their faces. I look at the lady, unsure off where to go. She mentions to the door to the right, which is made of entirely blurred glass. I stand slowly up, wishing I could have just stayed in the chair. It was rather comfortable.