2. Why I'm a Song Bird

I woke up as the van hit a bump. I looked around to see that everyone apart from 10k, Addy, Mack and Warren were asleep. As I looked over at 10k I noticed that he was starring at me. As soon as he saw I was awake he looked away.
"Morning" I said groggily, Addy turned and saw me awake
"Morning, how'd ya sleep?" She asked turning to face me.
"Better than I have done in a while actually" I replied smiling. She returned the smile before saying
"I have a quistion for you"
"Ok, ask away" I said.
"Why are you called Song Bird?" She asked. 10k and Mack turned to listen to my awnser aswell.
"Um, well, you see thats what my dad used to call me before he died. His little Song Bird" I said looking down. I felt a hand on my shoulder,I looked up to see Addy
"I'm sorry, Song Bird. Did he turn?" She asked
"Addy! You can't go around asking people if their family turned!" Said Mack frowning at her.
"No its alright, no he didn't. He died in a car crash when I was 8. I was left with my mum and older brother until this apocolyse kicked off. They turned and I had to kill them" I said on the verge of tears.
"My pa turned too. He made me tie him up and made me promise to kill him when he turned. When he did I starred in his eyes for the longest time just looking for some sighn of him. But it wasent him anymore" said 10k. I looked at him in aw. I think thats the most I've ever heard him say aswell.
"So what did you do?" Asked Doc who had woken up during all this
"I piked it right there and then" replied 10k. He seemed on the verge of tears too.
"Damn kids,you put down your own familys?" Said Doc although it came out as more of a quistion.
"We didn't kill them, we killed it!" Me and 10k shouted at the same time.

We both looked at each other understanding one anothers feelings. I went and sat by him
"I know I havent known you for long but I don't care cause I need a hug and I'm glad someone finally understands what I went through" I said. I pulled him into a hug,my hands around his neck. He seemed shocked for a minete before he returned the hug. I pulled away and sat up straight.
"I feel better now" I say softly
"Me too" I heard 10k say quietly.

A few hours went by of silence and all the others woke up. I learned that Murphy was the key to the human races suvival. I laughed at first before he showed me his bit marks.
"Oh,you were serious" I said looking away
"Very serious, princess" said Murphy pulling his shirt back down. Then Cassandra spoke up
"So Song Bird, what did you so before the world went into chaos?"

I paused before awnsering
"Well, I went to school. I had planned to become a singer after I left though" I replied. Warren turned to me as it was 10k who was driving now,with Doc instructing him. Her eyes lit up
"You sing?"she asked
"My dad called me Song Bird for a reason" I said making Mack and Cassandra chuckle.
"Can we hear?" Addy asked smiling at me.
"Um, I don't know..." I started to protest but all the group did puppy eyes. Even 10k did them into one of the mirrors so I could see him. He looked so adorable too. Ok, I need to stop and get a grip!

"Fine! But only a verse and chorus of a song called Riptide" I closed my eyes blocking them all out as I imagened the song in my head. Then I started to sing.

I was scared of dentists and the dark,
I was scared of pretty girls and starting convatations.
Oh,all my friend are turning green,
Your the magicians assistant in their dreams.
Oh-h-h,
Ah-h-ah,
And they come unstuck.

Lady, running down to the riptide, taken away to the dark.
I wanna be your left hand man.
I love you when your singing that song and I got a lump in my throut cause your gonna sing the words wrong.

I opened my eyes and noticed the van had stopped. Everybody was starring at me in aw. I didn't like all the attention especially cause 10k was looking at me too. I blushed and looked down.

Suddenly the van errupted into cheering and clapping.
"Song Bird, that was amazing!" Said Cassandra and Warren at the same time
"Zoey" I said. They all looked at me confused
"Huh?" Addy said
"Zoey. My real names Zoey" I said smiling shyly.
"In that case, welcome to the family Zoey" said Warren. Murphy was sat in the corner and he just grunted. Probably jealous cause he's not centre of attention.

After a few more hours driving we pulled up at a big house. We checked it out and de-zed it. We were all in the living room and Warren was giving out sleeping positions
"Doc gets a room to himself, Addy and Mack can share,Cassandra and Murphy can share cause I know she can handle him, I'll sleep down here on the couch and 10k and Zoey you two can have the last room" she said. I could feel myself blushing madly. Everyone scattered and I was about to head up stairs when I was stopped by Addy.
"You like 10k don't you?" She said grinning like the grinch
"If I'm honest I don't know. He's super cute and friendly but I don't really know him" I said honestly. Addy hugged me tight
"Then get to know him, you'd make a cute couple and if you two bred then the zombies wouldn't stand a chance" she said. I playfully punched her in the arm and then took of up the stairs.
-------------------------------------------------------------
(A/N) Hey guys! I hope your liking the book so far,I'm putting a lot of work into it. Its my first book though so it may not be as brilliant as I like cause I'm a newbie to all this.

So, Zoey and 10k sharing a room? What will happen? Find out in da next chapter :) ta ta for now!