III The Election

By the pass of days, Hegai the king's chamberlain had observed Esther's characteristics with fascination. Hegai was smart and stainless in everything he did. He of a few people around the palace knew in depth the fondest of the king; knew and recognize all things that pleased Ahasuerus.

  His advice, therefore, was vital. If anyone wanted to approach with pleasantness Ahasuerus, he understood the king like himself. But he knew within him that she was different, unlike from the other maidens around the palace.

  She had obtained kindness from him, and he speedily gave her things for purification. With such things as belonged to her, he ordered seven maidens, which were meet to be given for her. And he granted her and her maids unto the best place of the house of the women. Providing with the best he could give forth to her.

  Esther had not mentioned her people nor her kindred: for Mordecai had charged her that she should not declare it.

  Mordecai would have walked every day before the court of the women's house, to know how Esther did, and what should become of her. And little by little he would have obtained information from Esther's intimate eunuch's.

  Now, when it was every young girl's turn to go before the king Ahasuerus, they needed to go through twelve months of purification. To wit, six months with oil of myrrh, and six months with sweet odors, and with other things for the purifying, according to the manner of the women. After that, every maiden came unto the king; whatsoever she desired was given to her. And she would go out of the house of the women unto the king's house. In the evening she went, and on the morrow, she returned into the second house of the women, to the custody of Shaashgaz, the king's chamberlain, which kept the concubines.

  If Ahasuerus delighted himself with the maiden's company he would have made her return to his presence, except if the king didn't, she wouldn't be call any more before him. Many of them were disappointed to know the king didn't want their presence. But that was the rule and assent of Ahasuerus.

  Now, when it was Esther's turn to go in unto the king, she required nothing but what Hegai the king's chamberlain, the keeper of the women, appointed. And Esther obtained favor in the sight of all them that looked upon her. So Esther was taken unto king Ahasuerus, into his royal house in the tenth month, which is the month Tebeth, in the seventh year of his reign.

  Esther was a captivating girl, and Hegai more than anyone knew the king would have loved her. "Esther, today's your day."

  Being nervous was an understatement for her. She would have finally see the king and share a day with him. Poor king Ahasuerus was feeling tired and spiritless with everything already. He couldn't found his queen. But what he didn't know was that Esther was next.

  "My king, your next maiden is awaiting you," Hegai spoke, watching him with quietness.And there she was, standing with lovely eyes. Waiting for her king to contemplate her.

  "Make her come in," Ahasuerus said, dismissively.

  Ahasuerus wasn't looking at her, he wasn't still interested to lay his gaze on her. "Haven't they tell you I'm tired with this?" he said downcast, "tired of all this candidacy going on. A queen; that's all I wanted."

  And Esther would have stared with intrigue. His heart was mournful for a queen.

  Standing from his seat, he finally took notice of her.

  She hadn't still raised her head for him to observe; for Hegai instruct them how to introduce before the king: "Every time you're before the king, bow and lead your face down. Not until the king orders you to look at him."

  "Look at me," he ordered. While he took hold of her chin and lost his eyes on her immediately. And Ahasuerus found her a treasure to look on. "What's your name?" he asked tenderly, tracing every corner of her portrait. With an audible voice that would have wanted to know everything.

  "My name's Esther. Esther of Susa."

  Still contemplating her, he smiled to himself. "I'll never forget your face, Esther."

  But this time it was her turn to narrow her eyes at him. "I thought you only had eyes for the nobility people."

  "Why do you say such a thing Esther?" the king inquired in wonder. "Have my actions as a leader have made you doubt of the love I have for the citizens of my empire?"

  "I don't think it's a right for me to talk now, my king," Esther replied.

  "Nonsense. Speak." he put forth. "You think I'm unfair with the men I govern?" he asked. But this time watching her attentively.

  "You want to know?" she asked with awareness.

  Nodding was all his answer.

  "It seems to me absurd how the girls were taken to the palace. We were torn from our homes and lost contact with our loved ones."

  "It's the law, Esther. I must find a queen; see it as for another angle. The children of the king would be of the village too."

  "It doesn't seem a fair exchange between you and the people." She scowled.

  "You mean you're not happy for having entered the palace?" Ahasuerus asked concerned.

  "Does it matter?" she shrugged, "today can be a wonderful night, but tomorrow I will be one more forgotten in the corners of the palace; not recalled as many others. While you have fun with other abductees."

  "You're very direct with the words, Esther." He said feeling a bit hurt by her outburst.

  "That's why I asked not to speak," she replied, knowing she had somehow made him feel uneasy.

  Ahasuerus couldn't understand clearly why she had felt that way with him. Was he making her uncomfortable?

  By that time Esther had already lost her gaze through the papyrus in his desk. Driving his eyes to her, "What's going on Esther? I've never seen a woman struck in a papyrus." he stated, still regarding her with attention. "You're going to tell me you know how to read?" he said in irony.

  "A bit," she answered with a smile.

  Shaking his head in disbelief, "a girl who knows how to read?" he grinned in fascination. "Esther you impress me. Or are you lying to your king?"

  "No my king. I wouldn't dare to do such a thing," she said taken aback.

  "Then I'll have to prove it for myself." And Ahasuerus would have delight himself hearing her through nights reading for him. So he would have made her call constantly for her merry company. And the king loved Esther above all the women, and she obtained grace and favor in his sight more than all the virgins.

  He hadn't met any other maiden that could have made him feel like she did. Not even Vashti. And he would have said within him, "She's the one. She'll be my queen." So he set the royal crown upon her head and made her queen instead of Vashti.

  Then the king made a great feast unto all his princes and his servants, even Esther's feast; and he made a release to the provinces, and gave gifts, according to the state of the king. "You're my precious treasure, Esther. I was looking for a queen, and I found love. Greater wealth than that doesn't exist." Ahasuerus would express in pure devotion for his queen.  

  Everyone around the palace would have celebrated in great joy the king's election. Saying among themselves, "Every time our powerful king looks to our new queen, his eyes become like two large diamonds. Because it's no wonder as for our queen Esther, there's never been and would never be."

  And the king proclaimed in great voice, "I chose Esther of Susa as my queen. My subjects would now be her subjects. And the ground she steps from here to the ocean, until she loses sight of everything. The Persian empire would now be Esther's, to govern sovereign as my wife."