VII Esther/ אסתר

"Guide mi steps, oh Lord! lay the proper words on my lips that would soften my king's heart." Esther prayed in despair. "Why has the king forgotten me?" she murmured, "Let him remember his love for me. Let him want to desire my company, my Lord. The company he once lost himself joyfully."

  In all the provinces, millions of Jews bowed their knees before God. In a unified cry of salvation and mercy for Israel, and the protection of Queen Esther.

  Now it came to pass on the third day, that Esther put on her royal apparel.

  "My queen, please desist from that idea!" Hegai tugged.

  Shaking her head, Esther sighed. "I can't Hegai, my people depend on me."

  Laying down over her head, her royal crown, her maiden made sure of giving her a few words. "If king Ahasuerus doesn't lift his scepter you would be condemned to death, Esther."

  "I have no more election than to wait for God's will," Esther said.

  "Then, if there's no more to say to change your mind. I'm wishing you the best, my queen." Hegai declared, not letting his eyes betray him with a tear. "Let the God of the Jews lay his compassion over my queen."

  Finally, it came the day that Esther would have risked her life. Even though, throughout the whole uncertainty, she still had her heart filled with courage.

  "We have to make amends in the situation. Those provinces can't keep like that!" one chamberlain declared.

  "So there are two provinces in conflict, what do you plan to do?" king Ahasuerus demand, while he was in complete discussion.

  Watching with wide eyes Esther's rapprochement, the king's eunuch tried to understand why Esther was doing such a thing. "My queen! What are you doing here?" he cried. Not answering his demands, Esther kept on walking until she stood in the inner court of the king's house.

  "What I am trying to say, my king is that-" the chamberlain stop immediately at the sight of the queen.

  Murmurs and dread eyes filled the room around the king. The queen had gone against the law. With hearts replete of worry, every eye was set on her. And the king sat upon his royal throne in the royal house. And it was so, when the king laid his gaze on her, standing before him, was Esther.

  His eyes making her notice for a slight millisecond, the struggle he had to understand what was she doing.

  Standing himself rapidly, he drew his gaze before her. Watching her with passive eyes, she obtained favor in his sight. His eyes never sought to do the bad for her. His heart-melting smile spread out for her. Just for her. My precious queen, he said within himself. My precious and honored queen.

  So Ahasuerus held out to Esther the golden scepter that was in his hand. Therefore Esther drew near and touched the top of the scepter. Then Ahasuerus took her hand in pure love, "What is going on, queen Esther? and what is thy request? it shall be even given to you half of the kingdom." he prompted.

  Drawing her eyes with joy and quietness, she answered. "If it seems good unto the king, let the king and Haman come this day unto the banquet that I have prepared for him."

  And the king smiled, "Call Haman, that he may do as Esther has said." Ahasuerus demanded.

  So the king and Haman came to the banquet that Esther had prepared.

  Therefore the king said unto Esther at the banquet of wine, "What is thy petition? and it shall be granted thee: and what is thy request? even to the half of the kingdom, it shall be performed." He declared, without thinking it two times.

  Then Esther answered, and said, "My petition and my request is, if I have found favor in the sight of my king and if it please the king to grant my petition. Let the king and Haman come to the banquet that I shall prepare for them tomorrow, and I will do as the king hath said."

  Shaking his head, Ahasuerus smiled to himself. "This woman does test my patience."

  Grinning, Haman lifted his cup, "Of course, my king. Like all of them."

  Then went Haman forth that day joyful and with a glad heart: but when Haman saw Mordecai in the king's gate, that he stood not up, nor moved for him, he was full of indignation against Mordecai. Nevertheless, Haman refrained himself: and when he came home, he sent and called for his friends, and Zeresh his wife.

  And Haman told them of the glory of his riches, and the multitude of his children, and all the things wherein the king had promoted him, and how he had advanced him above the princes and servants of the king.

  Haman said moreover, "Esther the queen did let no man come in with the king unto the banquet that she had prepared but myself; and tomorrow I am invited unto her also with the king." she said merrily.

  Yet all this availeth me nothing, so long as I see Mordecai the Jew sitting at the king's gate. Then said Zeresh his wife and all his friends unto him, Let a gallows be made of fifty cubits high, and tomorrow speak thou unto the king that Mordecai may be hanged thereon: then go thou in merrily with the king unto the banquet. And the thing pleased Haman, and he caused the gallows to be made.