IX Intercession

So the day came in, the king and Haman came to the banquet with Esther. "Are you enjoying your food, my king?" Esther asked.

  Watching her intensely, Ahasuerus couldn't wrap his head with the idea of not knowing Esther's plan. Clearing his throat, he drove his eyes straight to hers. "You promise me you would have made your petition today. Now, please speak Esther."

  "And it shall it be granted?" Esther questioned.

  With a nod, he answered. "And it shall be granted. It shall be performed, even to the half of the kingdom."

  Then Esther taking his hands in despair tried to pierce his eyes with hers. "Ahasuerus, if I have found favor in your sight, let my life be given me at my petition, and my people at my request."

  Burrowing his brows in confusion, he shook his head. "Your life?"

  "And the life of my people too."

  "You demand me for your life and your people?" Ahasuerus repeated. "My dear love, I don't know who is your people. You haven't still told me whom they are," he said even more disconcerted.

  "We are going to be sold, my people and I. And not as slaves, otherwise I would have held my tongue."

  Standing abruptly, Ahasuerus hold her shoulders. "You can't be sold! You are mine," he cried.

  "We have been sold! To be destroyed and murdered."

  Widening his eyes in realization, Haman tried to break in immediately. "My king, maybe we should-"

  "And no friend can recompense the damage that has been done to the king." Esther declared angrily.

  "Speak clear, Esther. Who is he, and where is he, that dare to do such a thing like that?" Ahasuerus demanded, with pure anger in his eyes.

  "The adversary and enemy is this wicked Haman. He wants our blood. My blood!" Esther snarled, turning her head to him. "The blood of Israel. He has decreed the death of us Jews."

  Trying to penetrate his eyes at her, "You Esther? A Jew?" Ahasuerus asked in disbelief.

  "Not Esther, my king." Esther corrected, trying to breathe properly through it all. Lifting her head and shoulders, "Hadassah, daughter of the tribe of Benjamin, daughter of the highest God."

  Battling hard to understand everything that was just laid before him, Ahasuerus frowned.

  "She's not a Jew!" Haman said forcefully. "She's just some other Vashti, looking forward to destroying your kingdom." Trying to interfere with Haman's word, Esther was immediately silenced by him. "If it was true, why have you been hidden throughout all this time." he prompted, watching her icily.

  "Enough!" Ahasuerus said in wrath, rising abruptly from the banquet of wine he strolled into the palace garden. Watching how her king was bewildered, Esther shook her head and tried to draw her steps into her layer again.

  With envenoming eyes, Haman made sure the king was out of sight and direct them to Esther. "Hadassah, huh?" he laughed. Not letting his gaze intimidate her, she lift her head uprightly, even though she knew her chances of convincing Ahasuerus were starting to scarce. "You thought I would have beg?" he said through gritted teeth, "You thought I would have beg for my life, just like my ancestor Agag did before your sword?"

  Staying still, Esther shut her mouth and gazed him quietly.

  "You want me to beg before you, my majesty?" he stated angrily. So walking behind her like a predator, Haman drew his mouth close to her ear. Making Esther flinch with eyes closed. "Oh, please my queen. Spare me, spare me, spare my life you filthy Jew!" he said bitterly.