Chapter 4

I laid on the couch watching a movie on lifetime when everyone came home. I was in a pair of sweatpants and a a large t-shirt. "Brighton! You're awake!" Alice screamed running over to me. "Alice, I'm still very sick. I don't want to get you sick." I said as she backed away from me. "That's okay. I understand." She said setting her bag down.
   Everyone sat down in the kitchen to start on homework. I flipped channels and ended up on a football game after my movie ended. Emmett came and sat in the chair to watch the game with me. "Brighton, are you okay? I've been worried sick about you." He told me. "I will be. Carlisle thinks I can go to school tomorrow." I said. He let out a big sigh of relief.
   "Brighton, I've been meaning to tell you this. I am glad you're my sister. I know I kinda stayed away from you at first but the past couple of days made me realize how lucky I am to have you as a sister." He said. "Awe, thanks. I'm glad you're my brother." I told him.
I laid on the couch that day people coming and going. Edward and Jasper went to go hunt and Esme was visiting a friend. Alice and Rosalie went shopping and it was just Emmett, Carlisle, and I. We sat in the living room watching different football games that came on. I just cheered on the team with the prettiest uniforms. The last thing I remember was the orange team 17-9.

I woke up with tears streaming down my face and sitting up against Alice's side as she stroked my hair. "Brighton?" She asked. "Yeah?" I said adjusting to my surroundings. "Are you feeling okay?" She asked concerned. "I think so. Why?" I asked confused. "You were crying in your sleep and you kept twitching." She told me. I sat up and said,"Yeah. Where is everyone?" "They're getting ready for school. Carlisle said you can go back tomorrow. I can already see you there." She explained. "K." I said getting up off of the couch.
I walked up the stairs to see Edward in the hallway. I tried to make it to my room but I couldn't. Edward must have read my thoughts because he picked me up and ran me into the bathroom in my room. He sat me down in front of the toilet as I threw up again. He grabbed a hair tie off of the counter and pulled my hair up.
Carlisle walked in and out his hand on his shoulder and Edward left the room. When I was finished Carlisle picked me up and sat me down on my bed. He grabbed a washcloth out of the bathroom and cleaned me off. He took my temperature and said that I didn't have a fever I just probably threw up since I haven't ate in a while.
Carlisle carried me back downstairs where everyone but Esme was and sat me down at the kitchen table. He prepared me another turkey sandwich with a bowl of fruit and a glass of water. I thanked him and started eating. I was hungrier than I thought and ate very fast. "Brighton, don't eat so fast. You'll throw up again." He told me. I slowed my pace but finished quickly.
I stood up to go to the living room and fell forward but Carlisle picked me up in time and carried me in there. He sat me down on an empty chair gently. We were watching the news but I paid no attention to it. I sat in the living room for a while because I was feeling better. At 10:26 I decided to go upstairs and get ready for bed. Esme helped me up and took me upstairs.
She helped me up the stairs and into the bedroom. She sat in the other room while I got dressed in a big half cut sleeve shirt that was maroon. I brushed my teeth and combed my hair and climbed in bed. Esme said good night to me and I set an alarm for 7:45 on my phone. I slipped into a peaceful slumber easily as soon as my head hit the pillow.

I woke up and the sky was dull and it was raining out. I turned off my alarm and climbed into the shower that was already stocked for me. I put on the lavender lotion the supplied me with and got dressed in a pair of black leggings, and a blue long sleeve shirt that said Believe. I grabbed my school bag that I was given to as a gift. It was tan, the kind that you slung over your shoulder, and it had my name on it. I put my journal in and took my phone off the night stand and walked downstairs. "Good Morning Brighton. You look like you're feeling much better?" Carlisle said. "Yes, very." I told him walking into the kitchen for breakfast.
I gobbled down a plate of eggs and bacon with a slice of toast and headed out into the garage with my family. Carlisle got in his car and was off to the hospital. Edward, Jasper, Alice, and Rosalie took the Volvo and I rode in the big red jeep with Emmett. He strapped me in and we were off. "I'm very glad you're feeling better. I have been very worried." Emmett said trying to start a conversation. "Uh yeah. Thanks." I said not sure how to reply. "Don't worry. You sit with us at lunch and you have at least one class with one of us." He told me. "Okay, great." I said trying to sound enthusiastic.
We pulled into the parking lot right next to Edward's Volvo and got out. My first class was with Edward so I said goodbye to the rest of my family and headed off to English with him. I took a seat at a two person table with Edward. "Nervous?" He asked me. "Extremely." I replied. "Thanks for the other night. I didn't think i would make it." I told him. "No problem. I could here your stomach and you were thinking that you couldn't make it in time. And all I did was run you into the other room." He said like it was nothing. "Well, thank you." I said before I was cut off by teacher.
After English I met Alice and Jasper at the door and we walked to History. I sat next to Alice and across the isle from Jasper. We talked about the Confederate army and the war. Jasper and I answered almost all of the questions. After history I met Rosalie and we went off to art.
Art was one of my specialties. It was a sketch what your heart desires day so I decided to sketch a library. I think I did very good, so does Rosalie. After art I had study hall with everyone. We walked to the library and I took a seat at the table my family was crowded around. I sat between Alice and Edward.
I finished my literature and history homework so I decided to work on my picture of the library. I went to the art room to borrow a blending stump for my picture. I came back and everyone was passing around my paper. I blushed and took a seat. Emmett handed it back to me with a smile across his face "that's really good. You should sketch more often." He said. "Thanks," I said feeling my face turn red. Jasper who was next to Alice leaned over and commented, "And, she knows a lot about the Confederate army and the war against the north." He said. "Yeah, I read a book about it in the little library back at the orphanage." I said kinda uncomfortable.
The atmosphere got a lot calmer and I felt peaceful. "Jasper, she doesn't like that." Edward said glaring at him. "Sorry." He said as I felt more awkward. When I was done, I stood up to get a book off the shelf. I decided on a big book called Wuthering Heights I returned to my seat where everyone was glaring at Edward. "She's not safe here." I heard Edward whisper. "What's not safe?" I asked. "Oh nothing." Alice said calmly.
At 1:15 I walked to lunch with everyone. I took a tray and got a slice of pizza, an apple, and a bag of chips, with a bottle of water. We sat down at a table where everyone looked at us. I ate slowly while my family just stared at me. "Look, Brighton. We just want to make sure you're safe. You need to understand that we are very dangerous." Edward said breaking the silence. "Then why did you adopt me?" I asked getting irritated. "Because Carlisle was good friends with your grandpa and when he passed he remember that you were up for adoption." He told me. "So, I'm not scared." I said trying to sound brave. "I know but we are not normal, not like your birth parents." Edward said coldly. "Don't you bring my parents into this!" I yelled loud enough that he could hear but not make a scene. "Brighton, I'm just saying we're not like the parents you used to live with." He tried to tell me. "Edward, my parents didn't want me!" I yelled at him. I stood up and put my tray away and marched myself to PE.
I had gym with Jasper and Edward of course. Edward didn't look at me. He stayed as far away as he could from me. Jasper guarded me and blocked my contact with the ball. After gym I stormed off to biology with Edward, Emmett, Rosalie, and Jasper. I took a seat next to Emmett who glared at Edward the whole time along with Jasper. I kept my head down on the table while mr. barns babbled on about test tubes. After biology I got my stuff out of my locker and met my family at the jeep. I climbed in the front with Emmett while Alice and Jasper rode in the back. No one said a word the whole time. Emmett held my hand the whole way home.
When we pulled up I let go of Emmett and went straight up to my room without saying a word to Esme or Carlisle. I plopped down on my bed and started crying. From downstairs, I could here...

What happened to Brighton?
Edward, care to explain?
I told her we are not like her parents and she got upset that I brought her parents in the conversation and she yelled at me that I didn't matter because her parents didn't want her.
*Gasp*
Edward! You can't do that to her. It's very hard to process that the people you love don't want you. You have to be gentle with her. She is only human.

I could here heavy footsteps coming down the hallway. There was a knock at the door. "What!" I said coldly through my sobs. "Brighton, can I come in?" I heard Emmett ask. "Preferably not." I said and I heard him go back downstairs. Lighter footsteps came and stopped at my door. They didn't say anything. They just stood at my door. It was Jasper, he was trying to help me stop crying. "Jasper, just stop." I said crying. I climbed under the blankets and fell asleep.

I woke up at 8:37 pm. Footsteps came up the hallway and there was a knock at the door. Before I could open my mouth to talk the door opened and Emmett slipped in. He closed the door behind him and sat on the edge of my bed. "You okay?" He asked me. "No," I said trying to hold back the tears. "It's okay, go ahead and cry. No one will know but me." He told me. I sat up and snuggled up against him. He put his arms around me as I started to cry. I buried my face into his shirt and he stroked my hair. "Shh, it's okay. We want you. We will never let you go." He assured me. I continued to sob until my eyes were dried out.
He had me wrapped up in his big arms when I woke up. I was dressed in a pair of skinny jeans and shirt when I looked down. "Esme dressed you. Is that okay?" He asked. "Yeah," I managed to get out. He carried me downstairs to the kitchen and pored me a bowl of cereal. I ate that quickly and he picked me back up and carried me into the garage. Sitting in the Volvo was Edward, Jasper, Rosalie, and Alice. He placed me in the back next to Alice. "Take good care of her." He said getting ready to close the door. "You're not coming?" I asked shocked. "No, I'm going hunting today. But I will tomorrow." He said. "Oh," I replied with a disappointed tone.
The car took off and I was snuggled up against Alice. No one dared to speak. I was still tired from last night. I was up late last night crying. I must have fallen asleep against Alice because she was shaking me as we pulled into the school lot. I rubbed the sleep away from my eyes as she unbuckled me. Rosalie opened my door and I stepped out. Alice handed me my school bag and I went off to English. I sat next to Edward but didn't say a word. I kept my back to him the whole time like a baby.
I ran out of the room as soon as the bell rang and made my way to history. I sat in my normal spot. The day seemed to go by in a blur. Before I knew it, I was crammed in the back again with Alice and Jasper.