Chapter 5

I walked inside and Esme was sitting in the living room. "How was school Brighton?" She asked me getting up from the couch. "It was fine." I said walking up the stairs. I sat down at the desk and pulled out my journal.
Dear Journal
Today was awful. Edward keeps trying to ignore me. I mean I'm doing the same thing to but he was the one that started the mess. Everyone is trying to comfort me but I don't want them too. I just want to curl up in a ball and hide. Edward is right, my parents don't want me, no one does
Brighton
I closed my journal and decided to do my homework. I pulled out the packet of papers we got in English and started on that. There was a soft knock on the door and I turned around to see who it was as Carlisle and Esme slipped into the room. "Brighton?" Carlisle asked. "Uh, yeah?" I asked confused. "Come here, we want to talk to you." Carlisle said sitting down on my bed and patting on it for me to join them. I closed my history text book and walked over to them.
   "Brighton, do you know why we adopted you?" Carlisle asked. "Uh, I think. You were good friends with my papaw and he told you I was in an orphanage but when he passed you decided to adopt me."I told them. "Yes, Brighton. We couldn't be any happier that you're here with us. We love you so much." Carlisle said grabbing my hand in his. "Oh yes. We love you dearly. Never forget that." Esme assured me. "Your parents might not have been able to keep you but we will be your new parents. We will keep you forever. We will never leave you. It's okay if you want to leave us though." Carlisle said. "And Edward, he was just trying to warn you." Esme said squeezing my hand
   "Yes you see, we can be very dangerous. But we won't around you. I can deal with blood and everything. Your brothers and sister. That's a different story but just be careful around them. Okay?" Carlisle told me. I just nodded. "Come here," Esme said opening her arms for a hug. We all hugged each other on the bed. I could feel the tears forming in my eyes. "Thank you," I said as Carlisle wiped a tear off my face. They got up and left me to do my homework.

    After I did my homework, I walked downstairs to get some dinner. I made myself a salad. I sat down eating that playing on my phone. Emmett walked in and sat down with me. "So, you doing better?" He asked I nodded with a full mouth. He just smiled. "How was hunting?" I asked after emptying my mouth. "It was good. I got a bear." He told me proudly. I just laughed.
   After I finished my salad I went upstairs to take a warm bath. When I got out I wrapped myself up in a towel and walked into the bedroom. Standing in front of me was Emmett. He scared me so bad I almost dropped my towel. "Oh,I. Uh." I stood there frozen. "Oh sorry. I just came to see if you. Never mind, I just. Um," he left the room in a hurry. I was so embarrassed.
    I hurried up and got dressed in my maroon shirt that I wore last night and climbed under the blankets. It was only 9:43 but that's okay. I laid in bed for s few minutes until I heard the door creak open. I had my back to the door but I didn't bother to see who it was. I felt the weight in the bed shift as Emmett climbed in next to me. He laid on top of the blankets next to me. He petted my hair as I drifted off to sleep.
   I woke up and there was a blanket of thick ice covering the ground. I rolled over to see it was 8:23 am. I sat up in bed with Emmett still by my side. "Shh, don't worry. School was canceled today. Go back to sleep." He said. I did what he said and fell back asleep.
I woke up all alone this time. "Emmett?" I asked. There was no response. "Emmett!" I yelled. There was still no answer. I climbed out of bed in my oversized t-shirt. I walked downstairs and my family was there waiting for me. "Have you guys seen Emmett?" I asked. "Uh, he's not here right now." Jasper said. "Where is he then?" I asked confused. "He loves you very much." Esme commented. "Alice, where is Emmett?" I asked getting angry. "He had to leave. Personal reasons." She told me. "What happened?" I asked my voice shaky. "He was having an anxiety attack over the whole blood thing and keeping you safe. He will return home soon." Edward explained. I stared at my family as tears filled my eyes.
I ran upstairs and hid under the blankets as I cried my eyes out. I couldn't breath. I started hyperventilating. I must have fallen back asleep.

From what I kept track of, it had been six days since I left my bed when I discovered the news. Emmett has still not returned. I continued to cry. Every four hours a tray of food was brought up to me but I refused to eat it. I am planing on starving myself. I would not eat a bite of food until Emmett returned. One night, I heard this from downstairs.

Why can't we just tell her Emmett is coming back and breaking up with her.
Because, rose, that's not true!
I never saw that!
Oh please, we can all see it coming Alice.
She's already upset enough!
I couldn't hear anymore over to sound of my sobs. I was angry, and upset. I didn't wether to scream or cry so I did both. It ripped through the silence. The sound of my hysterical cry of help and pain. Carlisle, Esme, Edward, Jasper, and Alice all came flying up the stairs and into my room. They all sighed when they saw that I wasn't hurt, but I was. I torn apart and slowly dying. They all sat on the bed with me and hugged me. Edward was the closest so I sobbed into his shirt.

Two weeks had passed since Emmett left me. Edward and I became a lot closer. He would sit with me and let me cried. He could hear what I was thinking and how I felt. He stayed home from school with me. Carlisle unfortunately forced me to eat. I continued to mope around. Not once did I leave my room.
After 3 months, Alice came home from school early. "Brighton! He's coming back. In four days! He's coming back in four days!" She shouted coming up the stairs. I pushed Edward away and climbed out of the bed. I walked past her as she came into the room. "Forget it! I don't want to see him." I said leaving her behind in shock.

I went to school the next day. Everyone asking questions. It was awful! I got halfway through the day. I couldn't do literature. The empty seat. I took a paper and sliced my finger to get a paper cut. I asked to go get a bandaid from the nurse. I excused myself from class and ran outside. I ran into the woods and sat down a fallen tree.
   Rustling came from behind me as I saw Jasper emerge from the trees. "I smelt your blood. Is everything okay?" He asked me. "No, I cane do it. The empty seat. The empty seat in class. The empty seat in my heart." I said fighting back the tears. I didn't do a good job cause I broke down. "Let's go home." Jasper said lifting me from the tree. He put his arm around me and led me into the parking lot. "Carlisle, hey. Can you come pick us up. Brighton needs to go home. Yeah, okay. Thanks." He said hanging up his phone. "He will be here in a minute." Jasper said sitting down on a bench.
  I started pacing back and forth through the parking lot. "Brighton, are you okay? Your anxiety is through the roof." He said. I started hyperventilating again as Carlisle's car pulled up. Jasper got up and helped me to the car. "Don't worry. He's coming back for you." He said closing the door.
   "You okay?" Carlisle asked gripping my hand. I just shook my head concentrating on breathing. I cried the whole way home. Esme met us at the door as Carlisle carried me inside. He ate me down on the couch and said goodbye to Esme and drove back to work. Esme played a game of solitaire as I continued to cry. I must have fallen asleep at some point because everyone was home when I woke up. Everyone but Emmett.

  The next few days, I stayed home on the couch. Everyone went on with their day. I thought I go outside to get some fresh air but there walking up to the house, coming out of the woods, stood Emmett.