VI - Secrets, Science & Suspicion

Rouge stood in the doorway of her beach house, frozen with horror. She blinked over and over, hoping that each time her eyes opened she would see her living room as she left it, spotlessly clean and immaculately appointed. But each blink only briefly concealed the truth; the room was a shambles, cushions and covers scattered and skewed across the floor, loose papers forming a second carpet, while every item of furniture and ornament stood at odd angles like they'd been forcefully shoved aside. Rouge shook her head briskly, trying to regain what was left of her composure.

Stepping into the scene of what she assumed was a burglary, her ears stood to attention when she heard a muffled thud from behind the askew sofa. Her fur rose in time with her fear.

They're still here, she thought, her fear diluting as her anger rose, your mistake, buster. I'll show you what happens when you try to steal from the world's greatest thief!

With a swift leap Rouge soared through the air, cartwheeling unsupported over the sofa's huge bulk. Landing like a ballet dancer finishing her routine, she thrust her leg out, driving the thick heel of her shoe into the figure crouching close behind the sofa. The figure leapt to his feet, clutching his face and staggering backwards. As Rouge readied herself to lay into the recoiling thief, she saw it was a black hedgehog.

A black hedgehog with red stripes.

"Aargh!" moaned the fake Shadow, rubbing his forehead, "what did you do that for, you crazy bitch?"

"Shadow?" said Rouge, stunned, "You idiot, I thought you were a burglar! Why were you skulking around down there? More importantly, what on Mobius have you done to my house!?"

"I've lost something," said Shadow, "I was looking for it." Rouge considered giving Shadow another hard kick for offering up such a pathetic excuse, but she knew attacking him now, without the element of surprise, would end badly for her. Instead she opted to deploy the fiercest scowl she could manage, hoping to make Shadow realise the severity of his actions.

"And you felt you needed to destroy my house for it?" she snapped, "unless it was the Lost Treasure of the Echidnas, you've got some explaining to do!" Shadow didn't flinch from her tirade, but continued to stare at her, his face not revealing the slightest hint of any emotion, "Well, what was it then?"

"My locket," said Shadow. Rouge knew at once the one he meant. An old rectangular locket, tarnished and worn, with a picture of Maria inside. Shadow had never actually shown it to Rouge, but the bat had caught him looking at it more than a few times, always snapping it shut when he noticed Rouge's presence. Taken aback by his willingness to discuss it with her now, she hesitated in replying.

"I don't understand!" Shadow said before Rouge could comment, "I keep it on me at all times. How could I have lost it?" Shadow's voice quavered, becoming more anguished as he spoke, "I need it, Rouge, It's the only piece of her I have left."

Rouge's heart sank to see her companion lose his composure. Shadow only ever showed emotion towards the long-dead Maria. But when it happened, it almost made up for his stubborn indifference the rest of the time. To Rouge, it almost made up for him laying waste to her house. Almost.

"Shadow, honey" she said, sighing, "I'm sorry for yelling at you, and for kicking you as well. I understand this is important to you."

"You don't understand anything, Rouge," said Shadow, rounding on her, "It's just a piece of jewellery to you, but to me it's everything." Shadow's head twitched as if he had perceived something previously hidden, and to Rouge's shock Shadow leapt forward, seizing her wrists with a firm grip, his face filled with anger.