VIII: Shadow Play

Gravel shuddered beneath the pounding of heavy boots, children on bikes swerving to avoid the echidna thundering along the winding path through the park. The bright sunlight of the morning, dappled by the thick growth of the trees lining the path, bathed the picnickers and day-trippers in shady warmth, and by the large circular fountain dominating the centre of the park, the light cast rainbows across the children splashing about in the cool spray. Knuckles barely noticed the lines of heads turning to watch him stride by, his eyes fixed on the figure loitering near the fountain.

Knuckles could see Sonic prancing about, performing cartwheels across the gravel before gesticulating wildly. Behind the spray of water cascading from the three Mobian Angels resting on the fountain, a distorted and dark silhouette perched on the fountain's edge, apparently the audience to Sonic's antics. Knuckles focused entirely on the blue hedgehog, the red rag to his fury.

"Sonic!" bellowed Knuckles, scattering pigeons with his shout. Sonic turned to face him, smiling a friend's smile.

"Hey Knux," he said, "how-"

"Don't you 'Knux' me, you bastard!" Knuckles snapped, still marching towards Sonic, fist winding up, "you'll pay for what you've done to Tails." Sonic frantically stepped backwards from Knuckles, hands up defensively. Before Knuckles struck, the dark silhouette stepped out from behind the curtain of water, revealing the imposing figure of Shadow. The black and red hedgehog positioned himself between the echidna and the cowering Sonic, staring Knuckles down. Knuckles stopped, his anger mildly curbed by surprise.

"Shadow?" said Knuckles, "What are you doing here?" Shadow said nothing, but continued to bore his crimson eyes into Knuckles. Despite Knuckles being the larger of the two Mobians, Shadow remained unflinchingly steadfast against his anger.

"Get out of my way," said Knuckles, "This is between me and Sonic. It's none of your business."

Knuckles felt a heavy object impact his snout. Pain shot through his head as it snapped back, dragging his weight with it. His feet slid away from him, and the force of gravity pulled his head back towards the ground. With a jolt he felt the gravel path strike his skull from behind, the sharp stones scratching along his back. Opening his eyes to the cloud of dust enveloping him, the sound of children crying sharpened his senses. Sitting up, Knuckles saw Shadow standing over him, face unchanged, fist twitching. In the corners of his vision Knuckles saw fretful parents sweep their children up in their arms and hurriedly leave.

"I just made it my business," said Shadow, glaring, "Sonic is under my protection. I will kill anyone who threatens him. Anyone. Consider this your only warning."

"Shadow? What are you-" Knuckles started, interrupted by the taste of warm blood entering his mouth. Putting his glove under his nose, the white fabric became stained red as his fur, "you broke my nose, you psychopath!" Behind Shadow, Sonic bent double with high-pitched laughter, pointing at Knuckles and spasmodically writhing in mirth.

"Good one, Shads!" he said, "The big knucklehead never saw it coming! Duuuh, I'm Knuckles, I'm a dumbass who thinks he can fight Shadow." Knuckles seethed at Sonic's mocking impression, the pain in his snout the only discouragement to leaping back to his feet and bum-rushing Sonic. Instead he turned back to face Shadow.

"Shadow," he said, his voice becoming pleading, "Sonic's been beating Tails. He's been hitting a child for his own sick amusement." Shadow remained unmoved by this revelation.

"I don't care. Sonic does what he feels like. If he wants to beat that snot-nosed brat, no-one has the right to stop him." Knuckles mouth dropped open; much as he disliked Shadow, he never thought he could be this heartless.