XIV - How to Control Chaos (and Influence People)

Tap. Tap.

"Come on."

Tap. Tap.

"Work already."

In front of a frigid, dark fireplace stacked with logs, Sonic sat cross-legged, trembling from the insidious creeping cold that permeated the cabin. The night had drawn in, plunging the already dark room into total blackness.

In his hands Sonic clutched two round stones that he had fished out of the snow. For what felt like hours he sat tapping them together, hoping to produce a spark and light the fire. He honestly had no idea what he was doing, and his patience was stretched to breaking point. A quick run around the forest would warm him up for sure, and he itched to leap to his feet.

But that would mean leaving Shadow alone in his catatonic state, and if there's one thing he wouldn't do, he wouldn't abandon a friend.

Just like you abandoned Tails? said a voice in his head, Shadow isn't even your friend, not really, you just want to get busy with him.

"Shut up, brain!" Sonic said, blushing with guilt. He knew it wasn't his fault, Shadow had brought them here. To this isolated cabin, deep in picturesque snow-covered woods, soon to have a roaring open fire to sit beside. Alone with Shadow for an uncertain amount of time. He was starting to feel warmer already.

Trying to keep his imagination under control, he steered his mind back to Tails. He would be okay, he told himself. Eggman was dead, the robots were destroyed, and he had heaps of friends to look out for him. GUN might give him a hard time looking for them, but his little buddy could handle it, he was sure. Or was he just telling himself that so he could give Shadow his undivided attention?

Sighing, he resumed his futile tapping.

"Sonic," came a voice from behind him, "what are you doing?"

Sonic turned instinctively, seeing nothing but blackness.

"I'm trying to light a friggin' fire," he said through shivering lips, "before my quills freeze and drop off!"

"It'll take you until doomsday like that," said Shadow, prompting Sonic to remember he could see in the dark, "even if you did get a spark, you'd just set your shoes on fire."

"I suppose Sleeping Beauty has a better idea?" Sonic said, letting his shoulders slump. He heard Shadow's footsteps approaching and realised he was standing over him.

The crushing blackness began to retreat from a faint red glow. In the dim crimson Sonic saw Shadow standing over the fireplace, hand outstretched. The light around Shadow's hand grew brighter, reflecting from the dark hedgehog's eyes and giving them the form of pristine rubies. From the corner of his eye Sonic glimpsed a second red glow emanating from the fireplace, growing more intense by the second.

With a whoosh and rush of air the logs burst into scarlet flames that flashed into glowing orange fire. Sonic flinched, but became calm as the warmth of the fire washed over him, chasing his shivers away. The deep orange hues bathed every corner of the room, and Sonic finally saw the inside of the cabin.

It was sparsely decorated, hardly surprising considering the location, but most of what little furniture there was consisted of wood or wicker. A few drab landscapes loitered in frames here and there, and in the corner an ancient boxy TV set forlornly sat under a layer of dust.

"Nice Job, Shads," said Sonic, rubbing his hands and holding them against the heat, "how did you do that?"

"Just a bit of simple energy manipulation," said Shadow sitting down by the fire when Sonic scooched to one side to allow him room, "the question is, why didn't you?"