Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

  A chill swept through the night's stillness. Breaking the silence, came the animals inside the forests, calling out to the moon and to one another.

  Deep within the coniferous forest, rest a clearing. The clearing was considered a camp, and a few hollowed out stones, fallen trees, bushes and bramble thickets surrounded the camp. And the bushes, brambles, trees, and stones were dens to cats. One cat, a dark grayish-blue tomcat, made his way across the camp to one of the dens. He entered, his tail and head low. "Ravencloud?" He mew in a quiet, yet still powerful, voice.
  A small black and white tomcat answered his call. "Here." Ravencloud rushed over to the gray tomcat, ears perked. "Hello Coldstorm. Are you here to check on Silverstar?" He asked.
  "Yes." Coldstorm answered. Ravencloud nodded his head in respect and turned to show Coldstorm where Silverstar lay. Ravencloud led Coldstorm near the back of the den, where they found the fragile blue cat which was referred to as Silverstar, laying in a damp moss nest.

  Ravencloud left Coldstorm and Silverstar to talk, exiting the den and going to the fresh-kill-pile, a pile full of prey caught by cats of his Clan, to grab a meal for the morning.
  Coldstorm sat, his tail curling around his paws, and looked down at Silverstar. "Silverstar," he began. "I know you can barely hear me. But..." He lowered his head in sadness. "I'm sorry." Silverstar didn't respond. The feline was too weak to respond, after all. But Coldstorm didn't care, as he continued to talk. "Birdtalon and Goldenspark reported they scented AllyClan at the scene. I'll get them back for this, don't you worry." He raised his head again, determination glinting in his eyes. He would get AllyClan back for killing his father, no matter the cost.

  Coldstorm left the den, heading toward the fresh-kill-pile. He picked out a small shrew and sat to eat it. Soon, Ravencloud would have to give Silverstar death berries to put him out of his misery. Then, Coldstorm would have to go to the Sacred Stone and receive his nine lives.

Sunpaw and Moonpaw lay in the Apprentice's Den. Not even a sundown earlier they'd been appointed apprentices. After finding Silverstar in his current occupation, all the other cats' excitement over Sunkit and Moonkit becoming Sunpaw and Moonpaw had nearly diminished. However, the two newly named apprentices' excitement had not diminished. "I can't believe we're apprentices now!" Sunpaw exclaimed. "And my mentor is Coldstorm! One of the best warriors there is!" Moonpaw rolled her eyes in exasperation at her younger sister's excitement. "He's the deputy. Of course he's the best warrior there is." Sunpaw giggled, her whiskers twitching in amusement. "Aren't you happy about your mentor?" She asked. Her sister huffed. "Vinewing's dull." She answered. "He's good looking, though, isn't he?" Sunpaw prodded the subject with a smirk. Moonpaw felt her ear-tips grow hot. "I-I guess..." She muttered, flattening her ears and looking down. Sunpaw giggled again. "I bet you like him!" Moonpaw looked up at her sister, growling softly. "How would you know, mousebrain?" Sunpaw simply giggled again. Moonpaw huffed, lying down and lowering her head to rest on her paws. "... Hey? Did you see Silverstar?" Sunpaw's cheerful demeanor was swept away with the mention of Silverstar. "Yeah... His injuries looked bad. I don't think he'll last much longer."